Helmetlok rubberized carabiner helmet lock

[Permalink]

1 Like

If Danny Ocean really wants that helmet he is going get it.

Dum. Dum. Du-du-dum.

1 Like

“My motorbike famously has no place to secure a helmet.”

I never understood why anyone would ever want to leave their helmet, or anything else, on their bike. I always remove my helmet locks from all my bikes, and take my helmet and bags with me when I get off. I don’t want anyone messing with my helmet, so it stays with me at all times.

I can’t help myself from manipulating open those rotary-digital-style combination locks whenever I see them on display in stores. Who doesn’t love a lock you can pick without picks?

I never understood why anyone would ever want to leave their helmet, or anything else, on their bike.

I think its because people don’t want to carry their helmets around.

Seems like a bike cable lock would work just as well and cost a lot less, though.

I should re-phrase then: I never understood why apparently some people would rather leave their helmets on their bikes using a crappy helmet lock that can easily be defeated (if it hasn’t just plain broken before then), rather than take it with them. Something that I put on my head and fits snugly to my face and can in the event of a crash save my life is not something I want to leave out of my sight. People are assholes, and will play with your bike and the helmet attached to it while it’s parked. Or knock it over with their cars. Leaving a helmet on a bike is dumb, no matter what kind of lock you have.

I guess I’m lucky enough to live in an area where people are nicer. And, honestly, if I feared people would mess with my helmet in an area, they would mess with my bike first, so I’d drive. Or, other logic: a helmet locked to the seat would keep people from sitting on it.

I lock my helmet, but more to keep it from blowing off in the wind.

I always keep my helmet locked to my bike out of fear of looking like a douchebag.

I’m not suggesting it’s always the case, and many riders may be like you, who are simply overly protective of their gear, but carrying a helmet around out-of-sight of the actual bike generally comes off as a plea for attention when I notice it.

2 Likes

That may say more about you than it does about the people carrying helmets. I don’t really see how carrying a helmet makes one a douchebag (or makes one look like a douchebag, at least). Who really cares?

1 Like

Perhaps it does! I blame the media http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF9CPtD_UsI (1:50 in)

I don’t really give a shit about what people think of me. I do give a shit about people, or even just the elements such as rain, messing around with a $300 safety device that I wear smooshed onto my head and face. I’m guessing you’re on the West coast. I’m on the North East coast where leaving anything out in public out of sight for more than 5 minutes is a huge liability.

NJ, baby! This time of year I’m more concerned about freezing to death on a ride.

When it’s raining, I just put a plastic bag over my helmet before locking it to the bike. Then again, mine didn’t cost $300.

Wouldn’t a regular padlock work just as well and be cheaper?

Yes I agree. If that helmet got damaged in your absence you may only find out about it after a crash when you wake up with head injuries.

1 Like

…but if someone urinates in it, you’ll know as soon as you put it on.

I’ve never left my helmet with my bike. It seems that the vast majority of riders in the UK also carry theirs with them.

1 Like

Because helmets are big bulky things that no one wants to carry into the store with them…?

I guess if you only ride recreationally, or commute, then your bike is either at home or at the office, and so you may as well bring your helmet in.

I’ve attached my helmet to the built-in bike clip for years in the city and have never had my helmet messed with.

Are people going around and damaging helmets locked to bikes? What are they doing, hitting them with hammers for the fun of it?

They could also snip your break cables while it’s parked, but I’ve done ok so far assuming that random strangers aren’t trying to kill me just for the fun of it.

Yes, people mess with things left on the street all the time, for a variety of reasons, some more nefarious than others. It is well known that drug users steal spark plugs for instance, because they make great freebasing / crack / meth smoking pipes. Or because the porcelain insulator is great for smashing car windows.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897058

Yes, people do damage bikes for fun, but helmets can also be damaged when the bike it is attached to is moved, or leant against, etc.

They could puncture my hydraulics, but I would know about it almost immediately. Bike helmets hide damage. Thats why it is good practice to replace them after any crash.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.