Here's what the Cards Against Humanity staff bought with the $70k they made selling "nothing"

11 Likes

I pretty ran much the full gamut of emotions with this (also with the larger question of whether all the good things CAH do make up for the ā€œweā€™re not really offensiveā€ horribleness of the game).

Mostly Iā€™m just glad I found The Metagame, which shares some general similarities with CAH but is a much more thoughtful game.

1 Like

Just posting to suggest Bunnahabhain to the Islay malt fans. It is indisputably an Islay malt, but less in your face than the others mentioned, so a nice change.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a rather Gaelic name! Thanks for the suggestion.

When I was in a town outside of fort william a few years ago, I had a Bunnahabhain from '67. It tasted like Sherry and the sea. The pub owner had never sold a dram of it, so I shared the tiny little thing with him and the few other regulars.

Edit

Spean Bridge was the town, and the Stronlosset was the pub (I think it is closed now). We met a very nice gent who had just completed climbing every Munroe, and smoked a spliff on top of each one.

2 Likes

Or, if you can find it, the older bottles of Black Bottle, its a blend, but very tasty. Itā€™s like a better, and much cheaper, version of Black Label. The new stuff, though, is crap.

Bunnahabhain was one of the main mixes in it. They replaced it with cheap grain whiskey in its latest incarnation, though.

1 Like

Bruichladdich is also quite nice. The most popular bottles arenā€™t heavily peated at all, and is a very accessible islay malt. Also:

The distillery still uses the original ā€˜openā€™ 7-tonne mashtunā€”the only one on the island, and one of only a handful still in existence. There are six wooden washbacks made from Douglas Fir (sometimes called Oregon Pine)

Yeahā€¦ (Polishes fingernails on tweed jacket)ā€¦ Oregon Represents.

3 Likes

Every Munro in Scotland? Thatā€™s quite the accomplishment.

I once did 3 Munros in a day. Yes, one of my proudest achievements! Thereā€™s a remote peninsula not accessible by car and I was working there one summer. Got the day off to join two other hikers. Seriously, I will never forget that day.

2 Likes

I certainly couldnt do it, and it took this guy a better part of a decade (and he was in great shape, probably approaching seventy now, and could easily kick my rear arm wrestling). That was a wonderful trip.

1 Like

I think arm wrestling with your rear was your first mistake.

5 Likes

My life is a series of weird, inexplicable mistakes >:)

2 Likes

I can agree - it would be a terrible boardgame. Since itā€™s a card game instead, though I think theyā€™re safe.

For all that CAH is not a particularly great game at the end of the day (Itā€™s Apples to Apples, but vulgar!) people certainly seem to enjoy it and theyā€™ve never done any particularly egregious marketing or other crazy stuff. They made a company for distributing card/board games as well, which seems like a good use of the money, and this list is kind of delightful and hilarious in a strange way.

I dunno man, canā€™t join the hate train. I donā€™t seethe when Hasbro announces their quarterly earnings because Monopoly isnā€™t a good game either.

2 Likes

Hey, @funruly, or someone GIFly adept, can you animate this somehow? Conveying massive dis-a-boing-ment? THANKS, itā€™s PURE COMEDY GOLD, @JonS

1 Like

Me six thousand. Iā€™ll be dead before I ever figure out how I survived this long.

1 Like

Bruichladdich has been on my list for awhileā€¦ But I canā€™t find it locally for the life of me, and I canā€™t stomach $16+ for shipping.

All this whisky talk makes me wish it wasnā€™t 3pmā€¦ Sigh. The life of not being an alcoholic.

3 Likes

I think a single drink can be taken anytime. Same applies for reinforcing tea with rum or ouzo or other relaxant in mild amount.

4 Likes

9 Likes

I wish that were true of me. If I have a drink at lunch, even one beer of normal 5 or 6% strength, that ruins all productivity for the rest of the day. I cannot do it, unless Iā€™m on vacation and thereā€™s nothing really at stake that day. Did somebody say steak? I can eat a steak for lunch every day, but choose not to, for athersclerosis reasons.

1 Like

On the contrary, I sometimes get anxious and too tense to think. A small drink tends to help greatly. (A larger one, not so.)

The steaks are too high.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.