Hiker who finished first free ascent of Dawn Wall on Yosemite's El Capitan did it missing a finger

[Permalink]

The digitally enhanced upload!

3 Likes

Hiker?!

3 Likes

“Hiker”? They didn’t walk to the top. You mean “climber”.

1 Like

This tier of climber are insanely tough in their hands, not just muscle strength but bone density from all those impacts and torsions.

There was a guy who climbed the WTC in the early 80’s. I watched this on some tv show, probably That’s Incredible or Real People, and he was demonstrating chin ups with a single pinky.

1 Like

Vertical hiking.

That guy’s a “hiker” like Bill Gates has “some money”.

3 Likes

those hi-res photos are amazing.

man, what a story.

It’s an amazing ‘hobby’. I had to remind myself that free climbing and free soloing are two different things. Both are insane, one just seems also stupid. But then I think from the climber’s perspective and realize that some people really know how to feel alive.

I had started to learn to climb before injuring my hand late last year. I think the modicum of knowledge I have about what he’s doing only makes me want to scream and hide under a blanket all the more.

“He cut off his index finger with a table saw, got it reattached, and then removed again”

I hope this doesn’t become a trend, like body mod or piercings.

Uh, I think the missing finger thing is not the most interesting part of Tommy Caldwell’s biography.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.