Hiker with video camera shot exact moment volcano in Chile erupted

[Permalink]

I love the deadpan ‘Wow’. Followed by the realisation ‘hey, I might be a bit too close here…’

11 Likes

That’s not exactly what he says at the end… it’s a spanish profanity equivalent to “motherf…r”

4 Likes

Is there a longer clip? I’d love to know how far away he was.

Pretty close to what would likely pop out of my mouth at such a moment. :wink:

I always want to yell to the videographer, “Get the shot!”, but I am not sure what I would do if I suddenly saw a volcano erupting. Probably get out of there, and then you all would be yelling for me to “get the shot!”.

3 Likes

And the timing was excellent! “Here’s the waterfall, isn’t it pretty?.. And there’s the volcano…” Volcano erupts as soon as the word is spoken. “…wow.”

5 Likes

Has he been tested for eldritch powers?

5 Likes

Almost…too…excellent.

Cause and effect!

VolcaNOOOOOOOOOO!!!

3 Likes

Amazing. I still don’t quite understand how trained cameras on volcanos aren’t more common, especially considering how cheap the technology is now. Too many perhaps.

5 Likes
2 Likes

That could not have been timed more perfectly. The camera literally auto-focused at the precise second.

At least he had the presence of mind to not get caught in the moment and get the hell out of there. Unlike those strange people who stared in awe at the receding tide before the tsunami.

That is so f’n cool. Did ya notice the puffy little shock-cloud that slurped up the debris column?

I swear, kids these days get all excited about lava and its inexorable march downhill, setting fire to or melting whatever’s in its path, but the explosions are where it’s at.

4 Likes

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t think it’s completely common knowledge about receding tides and tsunamis.

This is amazing. I would definitely be running the other way as soon as that happened. Especially as it seems like he’s more or less directly downhill from the thing. (Not sure if there’s a valley in between). Pyroclastic flow or landslide would be top of mind at that point for sure!

And a great chance to teach kids about the difference in the speed of sounds versus the speed of light, especially when you can see the shockwave heading upwards. About 12 seconds between sight and sound - I make that about 4 kilometres; close enough.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.