Holy crap Facebook is paying $2 billion for Oculus Rift

There are click-based revenues and view-based revenues. You have undoubtedly contributed to the profits of the company selling the advertising space. View-based revenues hope to cash in on your level of mind share in a certain product or market. The only way to guarantee you don’t pay attention to ads on the internet is to block them.

1 Like

They claim that the second version of the devkit (which has been announced, but isn’t shipping yet) solves the motion sickness problems.

Does the second version of the devkit redesign the inner ear of the user?

1 Like

My main issue of motion sickness relates to small head movements forward or back. Left, right, up down, it tracked all of those very well, but the Y axis it has trouble with. Add the fact that you’re now forcing a focus about three inches from your eyes and it’s too much for me. Others I’ve watched use it for an hour and be perfectly comfortable, but my inner ear needed a minute to itself.

I understand that the Y axis issue was the main thing they’ve been working on to solve it. I had been excited to see where they were going, but now I see where they’re really going and I’m not as interested.

Oh, I understand completely how internet advertising works. I just think that it’s nuts that there are multiple multi-billion dollar companies based on it. It seems crazy-ineffective in my personal experience. I am sure there are numbers that prove me wrong, but I am sticking to my anecdote.

I have never needed adblocker because I actually pay no attention to ads - I also don’t begrudge websites making money off of pointlessly displaying them - better some dummy pay for my content than me.

That said, I will occasionally read posts on BB about products, and have purchased several items because of that. Same goes for lot’s of other editorial-content-type-stuff about products. It’s always stuff that is directly in my wheelhouse anyway though (t-shirt-of-tesla-with-a-pidgeon-on-his-head I am looking at you).

2 Likes

But just think! With the new stuff they added for the post-Crystal Cove Devkit you will actually be able to lean in and carefully scrutinize the pictures your friends post to Facebook - almost as if you were sitting in front of an actual monitor!

@JonS - Touche, sir.

This phrase made me lol :smile:

What if Facebook just funds Oculus and doesn’t interfere with it’s development?

Valve gave up their own hardware explorations of VR and were working with Oculus…

That may happen in the short term, but they just spent 2 billion dollars for the company - of course they’re going to interfere.

I’ve had a lot to drink tonight, so I am going to pretend that this was all a bad dream and when I wake up tomorrow everything will be just fine.

1 Like

I think I have the answer:

1 Like

2 Likes

Well…sod. Here’s to hoping that people are able to hack Sony’s Morpheus then.

No need really - so long as the visual suggestions correlate to the inner ear’s sense of movement, which admittedly will take some figuring out, the inner ear is redundant in the game. Much like motion pictures.

Sony Online Entertainment (SOE - the Everquest/Planetside people) certainly has a stake in PC gaming, though I agree the head office is unlikely to be in any rush to bring the Morpheus to PC, in much the same way Microsoft didn’t really want to release Kinect for PC, and when they did they charged more for it than for the Xbox peripheral.

OTOH Sony is probably happy to have any revenue stream right now.

This is going to improve the Oculus Rift the same way Flickr took off after they were bought up by Yahoo.

You realize that Kickstarter isn’t an investment platform, right? It is, at best, a patron program that lets people donate money in order to support projects that they find interesting. And depending on the project (and the amount of your donation), you MIGHT get something back from your donation. But the key word there is donation. Not investment. What you do NOT get by backing a Kickstarter is any kind of equity in the company.

I’ve seen a few people make comparisons to the Flickr/Yahoo acquisition… And if I’m being honest? I really don’t recall Yahoo “ruining” Flickr after acquiring them. Yes, Flickr had a huge redesign… Last year? (And I actually like the redesign, personally). But that was YEARS after being acquired by Yahoo. I was under the impression that Yahoo pretty much ignored Flickr for quite some time after the acquisition, and let them do their own thing.

I almost kept a straight face typing it.

1 Like

Almost immediately after acquisition they merged everything into to their own authentication system, and that, surprising though it may seem, really tore the thing apart.