How a Pepsi consultant burned a "$400k game jam" down

Trilby? Anyone who watched Nathan Barley nearly 10 years ago would have seen that one coming.

3 Likes

To be fair, he burned it down with a constant succession of d-bag moves culminating in that straw on the camel’s back.

3 Likes

“This is the story of the most expensive, most highly-produced game jam in the history of the video game industry, and how it was dismantled by a single man.”

Why does the man get credit? The man set the stage, but the woman tore it all down by (awesomely) refusing to play along.

3 Likes

Credit to PepsiCo for a long history of keeping the advertising bar low enough for this cretin to crawl under (fall over?).

4 Likes

“A hat should be taken off when greeting a lady, and left off the rest of your life.” - P.J. O’Rourke

4 Likes

ecigs explained.

4 Likes

A trilby is just a closet fedora.

3 Likes

Vapes crit desiderata video comment makes a bit of sense; come for friendly compo, giant booboo space grotes invade, something that would be a firewall tell with that is optimized early.
She could’ve expected a creep-free zone (judges over 8yo, should mostly know how it works being a pretty gender,) if perhaps it weren’t (Pepsi? Did absolutely nobody see Tiger+Bunny?) a reality TV show with lighter attached direct-video workup and launch partner commitments. Nothing off about the ‘sexist jibe’ which is really a come-on begging Oscar Wilde rejoinders (unless he really was offering to nudge the judging by throwing demerits for contestant comeliness; does the substitution test fail for ‘beautiful b2g?’)
Oh. I see the IndieStatik page and “Two of the other teams have women on them. Do you think they’re at a disadvantage?” following up removing personal style to show off Pepsi cans just so. Ha. Yes that’s a bit closer to refusing to be horseshoed for a 1-week gig.

1 Like

If you read the article by Jared Rosen you will understand that the developers weren’t told that it would be a reality show until after they go there. And Adriel didn’t sign the contract the production company wanted them to sign.

So no, they weren’t reality show contestants in the usual sense. Which is probably why they didn’t put up with the shenanigans that ensued.

http://indiestatik.com/2014/03/31/most-expensive-game-jam/

7 Likes

I concur. Hats are awesome generally. No way we should concede hats to assholes.

13 Likes

Here’s a great recap by Zoe Quinn, in which she proposes that the next game jam be recorded on her terms - low budget, real, raw, no commercial potential. I’d enjoy watching that show.

5 Likes

He looks like it never sunk in that the bad guys in movies are not the ones you root for, or dress like.

4 Likes

Didn’t RTFA, huh?

5 Likes

Yeah, what kind of disgusting freak wants to reliably taper off smoking actual cigarettes to reduce their chances of dying horribly of lung cancer while also being less offensive to those around them and wait a minute.

I gotta say, I thought I was inured to everything in the Random Internet Hate lotto, but this one takes the cake. Do you people just, like, have some kind of centralized randomizer that you all subscribe to? Is it only open to people with 10,000+ Tumblr likes?

19 Likes

Oh my. Life’s just no fun without some sort of tribalistic signifier to help you more easily shun the out-group, is it?

5 Likes

And the developers lost the opportunity to ask him back this very question.

1 Like

I Google is a weird combination of words by itself, I might add.

Just you wait for

I, Google.

Glad, but also surprised. I´d have assumed provoking the participants for cheap drama is what the production company paid him for.

Good on the developers for standing up for their colleagues. I hope most of us would do the same thing.

I don’t see what the deal is with the hat though? I’m sensing it’s some kind of thinly veiled attack on his character based on his fashion choices, so is this sort of thing encouraged on Boingboing now? Wasn’t his blatantly sexist behaviour a big enough target for scorn already without throwing ad hominem into the mix?

4 Likes