How Domino's pizza lost its mascot

What ground my gears was that the slogan should have been “Avoid A Noid.”

Course, truth in advertising would add that Dominos customers were also buying food that is epicureanly nil.

1 Like

It worked out so well for Burger King and their “I’m Not Herb” campaign. Remember that one? No? Probably for the best.

2 Likes

Admin note: please consider the effect certain jokes might have on the vulnerable, even if they’re within policy and, in context, funny. No-one is in trouble for the one deleted here, but here’s a reminder that the bar is set high.

After telling someone a few days ago that I’d worked for a Domino’s in college, that person asked, “What happened to the 30-minute guarantee, anyway?”

My answer: “Lawyers.”

1 Like

What is an apazine? Samizdat that you don’t particularly care about?

APA (or apa, or whatever) = Amateur Press Association. I’m told they started in the 20s or something like that. Pardon my not looking it up.

APAzine (or apazine, or, again, whatever) = a zine within an apa mailing

If your apa mails out once a month, then you would put your contribution together, perhaps on mimeo or ditto, or photocopying, then either make (say) thirty-two copies (sample number for thirty members, plus one or two extra for archive or just in case) or perhaps if you’re lucky, you can send the ditto masters or mimeo stencils in. At any rate, these go to the OE (Official Editor) or CM (Central Mailer) or Fearless Leader, or #1 Monkey, or whatever title the OE chooses to use. He then collates one of each apazine (perhaps at a collating party) and staples the result together and mails them out to each contributing member (There’s generally an established ‘minac’ or minimal activity, and if you go below that, you may be kicked out for ‘lactivity,’ which I’ll leave untranslated as an exercise for the reader), who then skims the issue looking for his or her name.

Similar to a blog or a newsgroup, in that members tend to comment on each other’s contribs. Different in that the frequency of mailings makes discussions seem slow to modern eyes.

This is a somewhat simplified explanation, using the present tense in the fond hopes that someone, somewhere is still doing this. The last APA I was in broke up within this decade.

[edited to add]: You may be interested to know that jokes playing on the cognative similarity between ‘apa’ and ‘apathy’ were, indeed, employed.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.