Huge grouper fish gobbles four-foot shark in single bite

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Stupid video technology, taking all the speculation and inflation out of fish stories.

(Although this one was pretty cool :smile:)

2 Likes

Cool vid. :smiley:
We get giant Queensland Groupers round some of the dive-sites near here. Amazing fish.

2 Likes

Pix please!

2 Likes

Well… I should point you at other people’s pics because I am probably the worst underwater 'tog ever. I have a huge collection of blurry, murky pics of fish-arses. And I like rust. Couple that with the fact that 90% of the time I’m so into the dive I completely forget that I’m carrying a camera. The other 10% it acts as a wildlife deterrent so excuses made…

It was a bloody good dive, though.

9 Likes

Were they really trying to reel the shark in or just waiting for the grouper to eat it?

2 Likes

whoa!

@SmashMartian jealous

@7etoatreides fishing for sharks, or fishing with sharks?

3 Likes

Taken on an artificial reef in the Coral Sea. Full of interesting rusty old crap to explore.
That’s a small-medium sized QLD grouper, maybe ~ 1m -1.5m length. The hatch is a double-wide hold access doorway., so perhaps 2.5m height for scale. Viz was piss-poor that day, too. Surge kicking up a lot of particulates and plenty of micro-life clouding things out.

Some of the big groupers will go 3m in length and resemble VW Beetles. First time I spotted one of them, I nearly swallowed my reg. :smiley:

9 Likes

We’re going to need a bigger shark.

31 Likes

I have amended the prior request.

Pretty awesome, smash.

2 Likes

Thanks. :slight_smile: We’re very lucky here. There’s a great combination of offshore temperate and tropical currents mixing in the South Coral Sea, so we get the best of both worlds.

2 Likes

That is bitchin’! Thanks.

Someday I intend to make it you your part of the world and dive, and find a nice fish like that. And I will name him George, and I will hug him, and pet him, and squeeze him.

7 Likes

I don’t dive, but I snorkel whenever possible… I still can recall the time that I rounded a large boulder and came face to face with a ‘large’ grouper (only about 1 meter). It was like a cartoon - we just stared at each other for a few seconds and simultaneously turned around and took off in opposite directions.

3 Likes

I guess it’s better to be the grouper than the groupee.

2 Likes

And that´s why I don´t swim in the open sea.

3 Likes

Shame it didn’t gobble up the idiots in the boat.

3 Likes

It just takes it to a different level. “You should have seen the fish I almost got video of (but my darn SD card was full.)”

1 Like

Male human tries to barbarously kill animal for fun. Why is this even allowed?

2 Likes

Hopefully, because it’s food. Also the least damaging way to obtain fish from the sea, unless you’d prefer a trawler.

1 Like

Stuff like this makes me glad I live over a mile above sea level.