beschizza — 2014-08-20T21:36:22-04:00 — #1
vrplumber — 2014-08-20T21:48:46-04:00 — #2
Stupid video technology, taking all the speculation and inflation out of fish stories.
(Although this one was pretty cool )
smashmartian — 2014-08-20T22:01:54-04:00 — #3
We get giant Queensland Groupers round some of the dive-sites near here. Amazing fish.
old — 2014-08-20T22:11:01-04:00 — #4
smashmartian — 2014-08-20T22:26:55-04:00 — #5
Well... I should point you at other people's pics because I am probably the worst underwater 'tog ever. I have a huge collection of blurry, murky pics of fish-arses. And I like rust. Couple that with the fact that 90% of the time I'm so into the dive I completely forget that I'm carrying a camera. The other 10% it acts as a wildlife deterrent so excuses made...
It was a bloody good dive, though.
7etoatreides — 2014-08-20T22:32:12-04:00 — #6
Were they really trying to reel the shark in or just waiting for the grouper to eat it?
noahdjango — 2014-08-20T22:32:25-04:00 — #7
@7etoatreides fishing for sharks, or fishing with sharks?
smashmartian — 2014-08-20T22:46:35-04:00 — #8
Taken on an artificial reef in the Coral Sea. Full of interesting rusty old crap to explore.
That's a small-medium sized QLD grouper, maybe ~ 1m -1.5m length. The hatch is a double-wide hold access doorway., so perhaps 2.5m height for scale. Viz was piss-poor that day, too. Surge kicking up a lot of particulates and plenty of micro-life clouding things out.
Some of the big groupers will go 3m in length and resemble VW Beetles. First time I spotted one of them, I nearly swallowed my reg.
bucket — 2014-08-20T22:53:19-04:00 — #9
We're going to need a bigger shark.
funruly — 2014-08-20T23:03:50-04:00 — #10
I have amended the prior request.
Pretty awesome, smash.
smashmartian — 2014-08-20T23:14:25-04:00 — #11
Thanks. We're very lucky here. There's a great combination of offshore temperate and tropical currents mixing in the South Coral Sea, so we get the best of both worlds.
old — 2014-08-20T23:23:56-04:00 — #12
That is bitchin'! Thanks.
Someday I intend to make it you your part of the world and dive, and find a nice fish like that. And I will name him George, and I will hug him, and pet him, and squeeze him.
crenquis — 2014-08-20T23:50:39-04:00 — #13
I don't dive, but I snorkel whenever possible.. I still can recall the time that I rounded a large boulder and came face to face with a 'large' grouper (only about 1 meter). It was like a cartoon - we just stared at each other for a few seconds and simultaneously turned around and took off in opposite directions.
sludge — 2014-08-21T01:02:23-04:00 — #14
I guess it's better to be the grouper than the groupee.
themudshark — 2014-08-21T03:56:16-04:00 — #15
And that´s why I don´t swim in the open sea.
mattse1 — 2014-08-21T07:26:03-04:00 — #16
Shame it didn't gobble up the idiots in the boat.
hyphen — 2014-08-21T07:44:25-04:00 — #17
It just takes it to a different level. "You should have seen the fish I almost got video of (but my darn SD card was full.)"
toothbrush — 2014-08-21T08:05:27-04:00 — #18
Male human tries to barbarously kill animal for fun. Why is this even allowed?
nox — 2014-08-21T11:46:15-04:00 — #19
Hopefully, because it's food. Also the least damaging way to obtain fish from the sea, unless you'd prefer a trawler.
lightningrose — 2014-08-21T12:01:36-04:00 — #20
Stuff like this makes me glad I live over a mile above sea level.
next page →