Huge oarfish found off Catalina Island in SoCal

[Read the post]

If I were snorkeling and saw that out of the corner of my eye, the first thing I’d do is swim right home and change my swimsuit.

8 Likes

Ummm… This article and photo is from October 16, 2013. @pesco , I think you meant to link to this LA times article from today, not the one from 2 years ago

3 Likes

Importantly the text (and size) is from the older article. The recent fish is smaller.

Seems like there have been a bunch of these stories in the last couple of years. I feel like there were a few in the UK as well. Something bad going on down there.

1 Like

That was a rare, wonderful thing to be witness to, and I know I would have been crazy excited to have been there myself, but still, it was an awesome dead creature. All the happy smiles seem out of place. I am a fisherman myself, and I confess to many big shit-eating grins when I caught the big fish. I also grieve when I hurt or kill a fish I shouldn’t have, or when I come a cross a magnificent bloater like this one.

I bet an oarfish that big produces a lot of roe.

{rimshot}

17 Likes

Now that’s how you do a pun. Bravo!

He’ll be here all week. Try the fish.

1 Like

“My God, that’s a huge oarfish!”

—goatse viewer talking with his mouth full.

OK, @stefanjones's was better.
4 Likes

This is the first thing I thought - what’s with all the grinning? Seems totally inappropriate.

It’s a gorram fish that died of natural causes. What’s the big deal? Are we worried about the oarfish’s family seeing the photos and being distraught?

3 Likes

Boing Boing needs to check their submission box a bit more diligently. We submitted this story two days ago: http://www.pitchengine.com/pitches/fc6d7815-c1ab-4f6f-bb32-3546c1d3058d (includes images)

1 Like

“Hey look, a dead fish! Lets pick it up and rub it all over ourselves”

2 Likes

Yikes! One of my earliest memories is of watching that cartoon as a diaper-clad toddler.

“Cyrus the Sea Sick Oarfish” . . . . yeah, that could work!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.