Ikea's Death Star lamp

Agreed, it’s a lot closer to Vader’s meditation chamber than to a Death Star.

2 Likes

You can’t improve on perfection.

1 Like

What lamps? Are you sure they’re just an uncommon bulb, but still available at most good hardware or lighting stores?

Every bulb listed here uses a fitting that uses a standardised connector: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10744/.

E26 is European for “medium base socket”.

1 Like

Cory, your Reddit link is actually just another Ikea link. It should point here.

Moebius did a lot of the design for the prequels. Amidala’s dresses were pure Moebius.

1 Like

My favorite outfit of hers was the Moebius strip.

1 Like

Looks more like one of Dr Who’s Toclafanes.

See, I have this theory that cricket doesn’t actually exist, and that the continued pretense that it does is the crowning achievement of the British people, a conspiracy that stretches back hundreds of years.

It would be why no one can adequately explain the rules of the game, and why matches are so baffling to watch. They aren’t really played - they’re staged, often improvised. They follow a loose set of “rule guidelines”, but like Calvinball the rules are never quite the same. There are suggested terms to use to describe the events of the “game”, but every so often a new one is slipped in on the fly as needed.

Not all players are in on the hoax - some are simply poor fools taken in by the charade who are somehow able to take part despite not really understanding the game. They feign understanding, and they get away with it because there isn’t actually anything to understand.

Their companions who are in the know, being secret confederates, are interested solely in giving the appearance of a functional sport to the random chaos that unfolds at every match. When something unexpected occurs or develops, they either accept it as some obscure part of the rules or traditions of the game, or they disallow or deny it on the same grounds.

A player accidentally impales themselves on a wicket? Play continues unimpeded, as per the precedent of “The Glasgow Challenges Circuit Matches of 1902” or something equally bafflingly named. Or maybe play doesn’t continue, citing “The Oxbow Barrow Pillbox Conferments and Associated Rulings”, first published in 1874 by Erwin Hambledon.

It doesn’t matter that neither citation is real or comes from a thing that actually happened or existed - they just get invented, used, and forgotten as needed. If someone not-in-the-know actually remembers a previous citation and presents it for argumentation, it typically gets overridden via some fresh invention of a rule that supercedes the supposed authority of the first citation. In cases where this might cause undue conflict, a show of deliberation is sometimes made (typically with the result being deferrment to future judgement with the intent of forgetting the matter entirely).

Or they just allow the raised issue to succeed - after all, it doesn’t matter because the game is imaginary! The point is merely to produce the illusion of an actual game, so arguing over the non-existant rules is only useful when it serves the purposes of the illusion, and can be safely abandoned when it does not.

2 Likes

Mornington Crescent!

I bought a couple of these after seeing them elsewhere. I need to get an electrician to fit them, though, as the cord that comes with them would put them at knee height and there’s no way to actually fix them to the ceiling…

I thought @solmssen might have seen an bayonette light fitting, but I don’t think Ikea have ever used it.

Off topic, but I hate the British bayonette sockets. If I ever get a house of my own all the light fittings are getting changed to screw ones.

I’ll set UKIP on you, you traitor.

Well, you’ll need a way to get electricity to them in the ceiling, which is pretty standard for most pendant fixtures. You can do surface mount conduit and junction boxes, but you do need a way to enclose the 120 volt electrical wiring in some way.

The drop cord itself is designed to be trimmed to fit, you might need an electrician if you want recessed junction boxes, but otherwise you can do the rest yourself if you read the instructions.

Ikea instructions? You sure about that? Sometimes, it’s easier to reverse-engineer from the picture.

They don’t like it up 'em!

2 Likes

With those Ikea lamps it’s usually possible to wrap the cord that you don’t need in a tight bundle and stuff it in this cup-thingie that sits right under the ceiling (sorry my english-skills are lacking in the home-improvement department).

See p. 9, pic 4.: http://www.ikea.com/de/de/assembly_instructions/ikea-ps-hangeleuchte__AA-909787-1_pub.pdf

It’s very neat, but I hope no one uses it as their main living room light, especially not at a half-way bright setting. It’s very wasteful to “dim” an incandescent bulb by just covering three-quarters of it.

As a novelty light, it looks very cool.

Yes, there is something about Jean Giraud’s look of things (when he drew as Moebius) in this. It’s as if someone asked him to model a Dyson Sphere. I wish schools could all have this to explain Dyson Spheres.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.