Inexpensive U.S. wines popular abroad

In the 1959 Peter Sellers movie The Mouse That Roared, an inexpensive California wine devastates the economy of a tiny European country called Grand Fenwick, leading to a comedic series of events that nearly causes global nuclear annihilation.

1 Like

20 posts, and no link to BUM WINES?

http://www.bumwine.com/

3 Likes

I wrote the reply a bit quickly. It was probably a wee bit aggressive because it caused a gut reaction in me to defend California wines before I realized that it was purposefully incendiary which made me feel manipulated.

It was worded poorly. The reason I blamed Boing Boing and not you Rob is because I assume Boing Boing had some kind of guidelines on what is acceptable to post and what isn’t. Since I haven’t seen posts that read like an actual driving trollies commenter, I assumed (incorrectly I guess), that it was against Boing Boing policy to post that sort of thing. I would also blame the LA Times (or at least their editors) if they decided to publish an opinion piece about say, how much New York sucks or the NYT if they decided to post an opt-ed about the evils of vaccination. They have standards.

Oh gosh, Heaven forbid somebody might enjoy drinking something you don’t. What kind of low-class dirtbag could possible disagree with your preferences?

We don’t get this shit with soft drinks. I don’t understand why people are so quick to get their undies in a bunch about the supposed objective cultural superiority/inferiority of anything designed to get you drunk.

Hey Rob, I think this sucks. The original Gawker post sucks, the comments on the original post suck, your repost sucks, and this comment thread sucks too.

I don’t mean to be a dick. There’s a lot of stuff I don’t like on the internet, and 99% of it I am prepared to let pass without comment since I’d rather spend time being amused by good stuff than spend time explaining why I don’t like bad stuff. Usually even if I comment on something I don’t like, I’d be a little gentler than this.

But seriously, this sucks enough that I feel the need to tell you how much it sucks. Are you trying to get into the Shia LeBoef “performance art” racket where the “performance” consists of being a jerk? Is it some kind of meta commentary, like… HamNo’s shtick is that he posts poorly written obnoxious garbage and then laughs at the idiots who click and comment without getting his “joke”, whereas your shtick is that you post links to other people’s poorly written obnoxious garbage and then laugh at the idiots who complain about you posting garbage?

Usually the posts here are illuminating and/or entertaining. What’s this one supposed to be?

3 Likes

I recall my mother deciding that she would see what all the noise about wine coolers was about back in the 80’s – she came home with a bottle of MadDog…

The gawker post was adequate driving trollies, but then the author’s driving trollies of the comments takes on an almost epic scale. It isn’t until

Americans invented the word “rapport”
that he really obviously tips his hand

I think the real noteworthy part of this post is that Mr. Beschizza was allowed to get “plastered” as a 12 or 13 year old, and then allowed to make his own “bathtub gin” a year or two later.

Binge drinking and unlicensed, unregulated, unsafe alcohol production by a minor? For shame.

Yeah… maybe it is dependent on what state you are in. California wine here tends to be awful and expensive (for awful anything is expensive), or ok and more expensive. Decent Spanish or Italian wine can be bought for 10-15 dollars, but a 10 dollar wine from California is more often than not going to be get converted into some kind of punch after the first glass, at best. But then we are talking about different things because there are people who just love sweet stuff. Not just sweet, but nauseatingly sweet. And to them what I would call decent is going to be “ugh… not sweet!”

This right here.

I’ll give props to a technically good/great wine, but that doesn’t mean it’s what my preference is. I like sweet easy to drink wine as much as the next person. I’m pretty sure that’s why Moscato has taken off the way it has.

1 Like

That’s British childhood for ya.

1 Like

Cheap, sweet, easy to drink alcohol has taken off because people like to get fucking smashed on no money, without having to deal with the taste of traditional hard drinks, and without having to go to the effort of putting rum in their coca-cola.

It’s like a soda, except it gets you drunk. It’s not for people who drink casually like a good table wine is, it’s for people who want to be as innebriated as possible on a budget, and want it sweet so it goes down easier and they can get even more out of their gourds on it.

1 Like

I haven’t seen T-bird for sale in the UK for donkeys years. I remember it well; tasted the same coming back up as it did going down…

1 Like

Yeah, I tried to make a still in the kitchen, too.

Sort of. Here in CA, we can get any and all wines easily, and we don’t have a mandatory distribution system that most states have.
By the time they get the rights to sell wine there, distribute it, etc… it’s not worth it other than for a few of them.

Well, if you’re like me, you still like sweet when it comes to the “classy” stuff (as if any of the truly rare and classy would be sold out the side of a grocery store). I like Drambuie or B&B.

Ya know, anyone who’s been far enough east in Europe knows that Mad Dog has got to be a step up from Kvint.

Half my generation in my locale lost their virginity or their friends virginity to Boone’s Strawberry Hill, $2.25 at your local corner store, $2.75 if you are underage.

Now that’s good wine.

1 Like

You’ve been selling Budweiser to the world for years and now you claim your wine is the scam? Interesting.

5 Likes

Was it something like this? Oh, the huge (drunk) manatee!!! Also, I need to see this movie you mention, because it seems like a delightful Cold War flick… plus, Peter Sellers.