Infamous imaginary games from science fiction

I’d add a couple of others:

• Star Trek: The Next Generation : “The Game”. Wily alien takes over the Enterprise-D with what amounts to holographic beer pong. Videogames are addictive, kids! One of the most afterschool-special-esque episodes of TNG since the first season, and extra-ironic–if not hypocritical–because of the continued presence of the holodeck, which had the potential, if not the reality for crewmembers such as Barclay, to be way more addictive.

• Comicsville from Jack Kirby’s 2001: A Space Odyssey comic book series. After Kirby did the official movie adaptation for Marvel, he had a short ongoing series which basically served as a science fiction anthology, with the Monolith serving as a sort of mute Rod Serling. (The last couple of issues introduced Aaron Stack, aka X-51 and Machine Man (although he was known as Mr. Machine at first), before he got his own also-brief series, which means that the Monolith is canon in the Marvel Universe.) Essentially a pro LARP/cosplaying outfit, with the protagonist, Harvey Norton, playing the superhero White Zero. (Jack Kirby: not exactly known for his subtlety.) Harvey gets majorly upset when the princess that he was supposed to rescue is played by a middle-aged woman who doesn’t meet his standards, so Kirby successfully predicted comics con assholes.

2 Likes

Yes, that one sprung to mind immediately. Epic.

Talking of Azad, the novel Walking on Glass by Iain M Banks’ lesser-known namesake, Iain Banks, has in one of its narrative strands a series of unlikely games, such as one-dimensional chess and Chinese scrabble, being played by a pair of political prisoners. As part of their punishment they have no rule books, and have to figure out the rules of the electronically-mediated games themselves.

1 Like

I assume you know it’s the same guy…

1 Like

Nobody has mentioned Half Life 3 yet?

Does anyone remember Octopus Dare from the Demon Headmaster books?

You know, where the evil headmaster lures all the kids into playing a hypnotic game turning them into brainless slaves doing his bidding and taking over the world?

That one.

1 Like

“le jeu du prochain train” from Infinite Jest. That’s quite a game.

Link to the original description:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Nhe2yvx6hP8C&lpg=PT731&ots=K3Fs_n27ne&dq=le%20jeu%20du%20prochain%20train%20infinite%20jest&pg=PT731#v=onepage&q=le%20jeu%20du%20prochain%20train%20infinite%20jest&f=false

1 Like

My biggest disappointment in the film was how little attention that game got. I remember when i read the book, that game made the whole story seem more real.

Periodically I think I should see that movie. Then I read things like this and I think “what else do they do for 120 minutes if they don’t include the only emotional outlet this kid has?”

Or, indeed, Eschaton.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Nhe2yvx6hP8C&pg=PT223&dq=Eschaton+infinite+jest&hl=en&sa=X&ei=teF-U7fwGMSxoQS9m4GYCg&ved=0CDQQuwUwAQ#v=onepage&q=Eschaton%20infinite%20jest&f=false

2 Likes

Star Trek’s spawned quite a few games.
There’s Vulcan Chess in the original, which has probably been made into a real game by now, or at least a real prop/sculpture/toy that Trekkers with too much money will put on their mantelpieces.
There’s Perisius Squares, which got talked about a lot, was plainly dangerous, but I don’t know if it was ever seen in TNG and sequels.
And we shouldn’t forget the klin zha from John M. Ford’s novel The Final Reflection.

2 Likes

The original Realms of Gold (that they played at the computer camp) seemed to be a version of Empire with fantasy theming. The later ones seemed to be a pastiche of the Ultima series (which weirdly exists in the “You” universe). And “Solar Empires” (at least the first one) seemed to be a pastiche of Masters of Orion. I’m not sure if there was ever a spy RPG like “Clandestine”, although there have certainly been spy-themed first-person shooters like the sequels.

1 Like

I’d vote for Vlet from Chip Delany’s Triton (and the Joanna Russ short story “A Game of Vlet” that inspired his description of the game).

It had everything.

1 Like

What, no eXistenZ?

Jetan, especially as played with live pieces who have to fight to the death upon entering another’s square.

I just wanted to add that I have gotten You and am finding it to be just as enjoyable as Soon I Will Be Invincible both for having that same sense of compulsive readability and for general early-80s nostalgia.

Phillip K Dick used games in several stories. Amazed no one’s mentioned him.

Here are three to get you started: There’s “The Game Players of Titan”, it’s a book about gambling with aliens. "War Game"is a story where toy inspectors on Earth need to figure out if any alien import games pose a threat to Terra’s children. (one of my faves) “The Days of Perky Pat” is all about a bleak future where globothermonuclear war has left people with very little and they live vicariously by playing a role-playing game that uses dolls like Barbie and Ken. Perky Pat makes an appearance in more than one short story by Dick.

That’s just a few of them. He LOVED games!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.