Insect learns to love genetically engineered corn designed to kill it

Is this joke from 1952? Ha ha.

2 Likes

The solution is obvious - somebody write up an Ag Gag bill, stat!

6 Likes

I’m no expert but I would think that would depend on how bad it got. If, over time, it gets bad enough that US corn prices go up dramatically (and the farm bill isn’t dramatically expanded to make up for it…[big if there]) then theoretically in some developing nations this could mean less hunger. Theoretically in the countries where cheap, subsidized US crops get dumped…if those crop prices raised to the point where developing countries could compete with their own crops…even your non-patented good old mother nature seeds…theoretically it would spur the rebuilding of small farms, subsistence agriculture, happy little economies and less hunger.

But I imagine the situation would be very different from country to country, from crop to crop, from bug to bug. And would continue to change over time. Oh evolution, why ya gotta change all the time?

3 Likes

Yeah, although that relies on ‘the invisible hand’ doing the rational thing, rather than the thing which will ‘beat expectations for Q4!’

1 Like

The solution is obvious - somebody write up an Ag Gag bill, stat!

I’m restricted by the bbs to like your post, so I’ll just leave this instead:

5 Likes

The problem, I think, is that the “Q4! brigade” has those attributes in spades AND these seem to be the people best positioned to make decisions that will have broad consequences. It’s hard(er) in this time of corporate person-hood and money is speech for a cautionary voice to be heard or heeded. If you can’t argue for a big fat negative on the ROI --take your toys and go home.

2 Likes

Perhaps it was intelligent design… A competitor to the Bt Corn may have developed the resistant bugs and then will come to the rescue with an insecticide that the bugs happen to be susceptible to.

3 Likes

The ‘knowing about stuff people’ don’t have the PR or hubris of the ‘best product ever must make it a monopoly money making’ machine. They believe in possibilities as opposed to ‘the answer of all answers’ created by me, I’m great, trust me, crowd.

As an aside, I doubt everyone back in the day was on board (pun intended) with the unsinkable Titanic either.

1 Like

“… is gorging on it with abandon …”

YES! The GMO superbug is also remote-controlled by the corps …

OK, ok, stupid nitpick, but it would be really awesome, if they’d done it.

1 Like

Surely god’s punishing the farmers because of ‘teh gays’.

1 Like

You only left out the part about, “nobody could possibly have predicted…”

2 Likes

I knew bitcorn would cause trouble!

7 Likes

My cats liked your post. Thanks!

4 Likes

Ha.

Sometimes love equals hate, aka destruction.

Not related to Bt Corn – to my knowledge – but let’s give a shout out to plant pathologist Dr. Don Huber, expert on glyphosate and the bad things it does to us.

In February 2011, Dr. Huber sent a private letter to Secretary of Agriculture Vilsack. This is some alarming stuff, coming from a sober-minded senior scientist with formidable credentials:

A team of senior plant and animal scientists have recently brought to my attention the discovery of an electron microscopic pathogen that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably human beings. Based on a review of the data, it is widespread, very serious, and is in much higher concentrations in Roundup Ready (RR) soybeans and corn—suggesting a link with the RR gene or more likely the presence of Roundup. This organism appears NEW to science!   This is highly sensitive information that could result in a collapse of US soy and corn export markets and significant disruption of domestic food and feed supplies. On the other hand, this new organism may already be responsible for significant harm ...   For the past 40 years, I have been a scientist in the professional and military agencies that evaluate and prepare for natural and manmade biological threats, including germ warfare and disease outbreaks. Based on this experience, I believe the threat we are facing from this pathogen is unique and of a high risk status. In layman’s terms, it should be treated as an emergency.   Unique Physical Properties This previously unknown organism is only visible under an electron microscope (36,000X), with an approximate size range equal to a medium size virus. It is able to reproduce and appears to be a micro-fungal-like organism. If so, it would be the first such micro-fungus ever identified. There is strong evidence that this infectious agent promotes diseases of both plants and mammals, which is very rare.   Pathogen Location and Concentration It is found in high concentrations in Roundup Ready soybean meal and corn, distillers meal, fermentation feed products, pig stomach contents, and pig and cattle placentas.   Linked with Outbreaks of Plant Disease The organism is prolific in plants infected with two pervasive diseases that are driving down yields and farmer income—sudden death syndrome (SDS) in soy, and Goss’ wilt in corn. The pathogen is also found in the fungal causative agent of SDS (Fusarium solani fsp glycines).   Implicated in Animal Reproductive Failure Laboratory tests have confirmed the presence of this organism in a wide variety of livestock that have experienced spontaneous abortions and infertility. Preliminary results from ongoing research have also been able to reproduce abortions in a clinical setting.   ... I have studied plant pathogens for more than 50 years. We are now seeing an unprecedented trend of increasing plant and animal diseases and disorders. This pathogen may be instrumental to understanding and solving this problem. It deserves immediate attention with significant resources to avoid a general collapse of our critical agricultural infrastructure.

Full text:
http://www.greenpasture.org/utility/showArticle/?objectID=7173

Although meant to be private, the letter got some blog attention. (Virtually no major media attention, to my eye.) Dr. Huber issued a public cover letter, acknowledging his letter to Secretary Vilsack, and repeating his assertions with additional passion.

Full text:
http://www.greenpasture.org/fermented-cod-liver-oil-butter-oil-vitamin-d-vitamin-a/more-on-glyphosate---don-hubers-warning-to-vilsack-and-his-cover-letter/

He says as much again – and earns my “I trust this guy” empathic trust – in this interview:

This new entity ... we don't know what it is. It's not a fungus, it's not a bacteria, it's not a mycoplasma, or a virus.   ... They can now culture it, so that it's self-replicating in culture, it doesn't grow very well by itself. Like most of our very fastidious organisms it tends to die out with three or four subculturing but grows very well with other organisms, so if you have a yeast, or a bacteria or a fungus in the culture that this entity then grows very well.   We're waiting on getting enough material, pure material, for DNA analysis, but also looking at some other possibilities. We haven't published just because until you can put a name on it all it does is create a great deal of speculation, and that's one of the reasons why the letter was sent, it's a very private letter.   The other reason is it could have a tremendous potential impact on our exports, because where we find high populations of this, are in our soybeans, in our corn ...   It's a novel entity, new to science .... We know a lot about it, we know what it isn't, we don't know what it is ... it appears to be common in nature, but new to science.   It's boiling down to one of three potentials ... and none of the three are happy considerations ...

Last word: Dr. Huber has been culturing this stuff since 2005, according to a petition which challenges him to release his findings:

1 Like

This guy sounds totally insane. Mysterious new life forms my ass…this is jogging my memory - this kind of crack pottery has been around a long long time.

Anyway, he made these startling claims in 2011, and the clock on the wall says it’s now 2014. So where are these new life forms, these super pathogens?

I guess this is going to be one of these anti-GMO urban legends that will make the rounds for the next 50 years.

4 Likes

if we only had several different insectidicide genes to plug into the corn
then resistance would be less of a problem since we could cycle between
them. But that requires many companies to invest a lot to develop many
products. But investing in a product with bad public relations image is
not easy

therefore its the fault of the anti GM crowd

1 Like

A’ course, there is the school of thought that destroying the effectiveness of Bt (a pesticide of last resort for organic farmers) through overuse, occasioning evolved resistance, was precisely the object of the exercise. Or, at least, a delightful side benefit.

3 Likes

The problem is less about GMOs and more about monoculture.

…Which GMOs are specifically designed and marketed for.

…Which is a good reason in and of itself to avoid them.

1 Like

Not much of what Dr. Huber’s saying actually makes sense though. He makes a lot of extraordinary claims, but doesn’t seem to have any evidence.

Saying something is a "micro-fungal-like organism” as small as a virus just doesn’t make any damn sense if you know anything about biology.

I suppose it’s possible he’s discovered some new, never-before-seen form of life, but I wouldn’t consider it likely given how little evidence he actually seems to have. He’s provided no pictures, or even any molecular analysis to prove if this supposed “micro-fungal-like organism” is even made of organic material.

He also claims the “pathogen” “is found in high concentrations in Roundup Ready soybean meal and corn, distillers meal, fermentation feed products, pig stomach contents, and pig and cattle placentas.” He fails to give exact amounts, or give any mention of a controlled comparison. In order to actually show “high concentrations”, you’d nee to compare roundup-ready corn sprayed with roundup, roundup-ready corn not sprayed with with roundup (weeded by hand or other non-chemical method), and non-roundup ready corn also weeded by hand or other non-chemical method.

It’s more likely what he saw in the electron microscope was an imaging artifact, scanning electron microscopes can show all sorts of odd-looking things that aren’t really there if processing of the sample isn’t done right, the machine isn’t used right, or the imaging scanner isn’t working properly.

3 Likes