Interview with James Mitchell, psychologist credited with designing CIA torture program

Hydra makes no qualms of being criminals who are worse than the Nazis they allied with. People like him behave like SA and still expect to be treated like Captain America.

Because he learned how to influence people into liking him. That’s a common denominator amongst narcisstic personalities. He got you.

1 Like

I Wonder if he has read the APA ethics guidelines recently (or read them at all). They are quite clear on how to act when ‘organizational demands’ (= your employer wants you to design a torture program) conflict with the ethics code of the APA.

And I quote:
“1.03 Conflicts Between Ethics and Organizational Demands
If the demands of an organization with which psychologists are affiliated or for whom they are working are in conflict with this Ethics Code, psychologists clarify the nature of the conflict, make known their commitment to the Ethics Code and take reasonable steps to resolve the conflict consistent with the General Principles and Ethical Standards of the Ethics Code. Under no circumstances may this standard be used to justify or defend violating human rights.” (source: https://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx?item=4).

3 Likes

Obviously, ethics are for the little people, not for the Defenders of FreedomTM.

/s

4 Likes

Key word there is “recently.” From 2005:

I never saw the movie version of “Men Who Stare at Goats”, but Jon Ronson’s original nonfiction book is a rather chilling account of how magical thinking quietly took root in certain segments of the military and apparently led to numerous people just itching to give their wacky new headgames a whirl. (I reckon some of the same people went on to the TSA.)

My first instinct was to check whether Mr. Mitchell was in fact mentioned in said book, but Google cannot tell me that much.

i think he has in his head that torture is only actual physical harm, tearing our fingernails, drilling knee caps, things like that. for me if someone made me sit in a folding metal folding chair for a few hours i would call it torture, lol

my granddad is across the board a very sweet guy who very rarely talks about his time in war and is generally very somber and tasteful when does talk about it, but he is also out of touch with the world we now live in and the current conflicts

1 Like

The infamous Bush-era “torture memos” sought to redefine torture as something that caused life-threatening injury such as organ failure. Of course by that definition all manner of horrible things wouldn’t count as torture, including (but not limited to) rape.

1 Like

yes i know

To me, movie version seemed more like a cautionary tale about how good intentions and really wanting something to be true isn’t the same as making those things happen.

It made the whole thing out to pretty much be a bunch of hippies given free reign to do what they want on the military’s dime without enough oversight.

Those were developed BECAUSE of this guy and others like him.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.