Is moth wing pattern is a sign from God or Satan?

Slake moth

1 Like

Hereā€™s a useful test: if the moth tells you to pray more, give to the poor, and promote peace throughout your community, itā€™s God. If it tells you to slay the neighborā€™s dog, itā€™s not.

1 Like

This just looks like a hipster in a vintage Ralph Lauren polo shirt, but there are lots of other faces peering out of the thoraxes of other Imperial Moths: a young Mick Jagger, Wendy of burger fame, Chief Wiggum, Will Smithā€™s and Angelina Jolieā€™s characters from Shark Tale, and lots of big-eyed aliens. How come they donā€™t make news?

2 Likes

Not much holy power if my cat can eat it.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info. I cannot unsee the figure myself, but IMO itā€™s more like Gandalf than anything else.

PS: Is extra word in post title is a sign from god or satan to proofread?

I think it looks like Conchita Wurst.

2 Likes

ā€œSign from Godā€? Isnā€™t everything a sign from God since god is everywhere and in all things?

I mean . . . the fact that I got diarrhea the other day is a sign from god that I shouldnā€™t eat at that burrito place anymore.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Moth camouflage patterns provide ample source material for viewing what isnā€™t there. What blows my mind is how she saw something so difficult to see in this moth. She has to have really wanted it.

Hereā€™s the outline for the bubbleman, @teapot - thanks for yours! I saw that outline, but to me it looks like a nun that wants a hug.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76260647@N06/15109816911/

?

2 Likes

You are obviously mistaken. None of those moths you said looked ā€˜just like thatā€™ looked like Jesus, so there. And that whole pareidolia thing, thatā€™s something unbelievers have dreamt up so they could explain away signs from above. If you can call handwaving and giving something a fancy name explaining anything, that is. Too bad she didnā€™t catch it, Iā€™d have loved to see it on eBay, just like the Holy Toasty etc.

8 Likes

Ummm. Thanks newbie troll. You do realize that the photo that keeps reappearing on this page in various forms is the photo she took of the moth that was at her house?

Also she herself said that didnā€™t ā€œseeā€ the Jesus face until she looked at the photo - so thatā€™s the exact same thing she was looking at when she ā€œsawā€ her Lord and Savior.

Youā€™ll need to try harder on BB.

I think that was supposed to be a ham-fisted attempt at sarcasm. I originally read it the same way as you, but the ā€œso thereā€ convinced me it was a joke.

For the love of Bob I hope itā€™s a joke. If this is the same personā€™s book list then Iā€™d say itā€™s a joke:

Looks more like Roy Wood or Arthur Brown to me.

1 Like

The fact that people have pareidolia I get, but why the huge desire to associate it with religion? I mean for a group that theoretically forbids ā€œtaking the name in vainā€, it seems pretty much the opposite of regarding with awe to see your godā€™s mom in the water stain of a freeway overpass (or to see Him on toast etcā€¦).

And for the life of me, what am I supposed to be seeing in this?

3 Likes

Oh, I didnā€™t think the author was serious - no way! - but a person responding to my comment (#27 on the still-short thread) with a poorly researched joke is still trolling me at freshman level. :smiley:

Thatā€™s why I just pointed out the errors in reference. I wasnā€™t taking it seriously. I just wanted to let him know (as a new user) that weā€™re a bit sharper than that on these threads, and heā€™d have to step up his game. No offense taken, and none intended.

P.S. Excellent taste in books.

1 Like

The ā€œseeing religious imageryā€ thing most likely has to do with indoctrination in a religion. When you belong to a religion, you become regularly associated with the images that religion uses. Frequent association with an image will imprint that pattern on your brain. So youā€™ll be more likely to ā€œseeā€ it in a random collection of shapes. You wonā€™t actually ā€œseeā€ it, but your brain will fill-in-the-blanks of missing information for whatever you would expect to see filling a certain pattern.

Sounds work the same way. You can play a modified sound that is unrecognizable to a listener. Then, play the unedited sound and let the listener hear it. When you again play the edited sound, the listener will still ā€œhearā€ the sound that was unclear before. ā€œBrain Gamesā€ Season 4, Episode 3 ā€œLanguageā€ does an example of this right at the start of the show - itā€™s available on Hulu.

Itā€™s all because our brains are heavily wired to recognize patterns. So heavily that we see, hear, touch, taste, and smell things that arenā€™t even there!

Right, but why is it always some religious thing (as opposed to something more mundane)? Or is it only significant to alert others if itā€™s Jesus or the like? (I guess nobodyā€™s going to go to the news or build a shrine if theyā€™ve got a piece of toast with a likeness of their uncle Bob on it).

And why does this phenomenon seem limited to Christian sects? I never see stories like ā€œImage of Ganesh on a doritoā€¦ NEWS AT TEN!ā€ (and yes, I also get that the USA is largely composed of Christians, but thereā€™s a significant number of Buddhists, Hindus, etcā€¦ here as well). Is there something specific to Christianity that promotes pareidolia as a genuine religious phenomenon?

(and yes, Iā€™m aware that a child born in India with a vestigal tail was worshiped as an incarnation of Hanuman, but thatā€™s not so much seeing imagery thatā€™s not there as much as it is a belief in reincarnation and ā€œHoly Crap! This kid has a tail like a monkey!ā€)

You come here for news? You will get what you pay for on that front.

Diabeetus?