Jennifer Greenburg's photos of people who live like they are in the 1950s

There are digital tv convertors. In fact, you could get a government voucher to buy one when the y came out. Couple that with coax-to-antenna adapter, and you’re done.

Unfortunately, they don’t come with big dials that go clunk.

1 Like

Norman Rockwell isn’t actually a great example of a whitewasher.

15 Likes

I kid you not. I re-upholstered the Chevy and upgraded the brakes and added A/C for the trips, but it’s mostly original. We tow a vintage pop-up trailer. Plus, my wife gets us a disabled vehicle permit, so we drive it all over the event. It gets 100% positive reviews.

1 Like

At least you don’t see any self-described punks dressing up in polyester leisure suits and outfitting their house with green shag carpeting and '70s hi-fi sets. It’s kind of weird and embarrassing that these folks tag themselves “rockabillies”.

On the other hand, this is pretty clearly an aesthetic movement and not a political one. The accusations of racism and such seem unnecessary.

7 Likes

Continuing on L_Mariachi’s point…

http://0.tqn.com/d/arthistory/1/0/y/1/1/Norman-Rockwell-Murder-in-Mississippi-Southern-Justice-1965.jpg

4 Likes

From a design standpoint, there’s a lot to appreciate about the 50s and 60s. Just because you like the theme from Route 66 doesn’t mean you also believe in segregation.

8 Likes

Oh, contraire. While to some the RCA Hi-Fi system on my back porch might say “retro”, what is really meant by it is “I want to bring back segregated lunch counters.”

I should take a video of the thing; it’s got a cat’s eye tuner on it. It may predate PLL, but it’s a thing of beauty.

1 Like

Shots fired. Attend to the burn victims first.

Looks awesome!

Standards are: nothing like that exists or is available for all but the elite. When talking about marriage the number of children one wants is irrelevant, you get what you get. Two kids only exist for the fortunate or subfertile, the rest have them as they come.

1 Like

Pleasantville!

1 Like

Part of the wall decor for no. 13 is a Confederate flag. I would say that particular guy is definitely making a statement.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t want to eat dinner there. I bet they serve vegetable casserole with Velveeta on top and a nice salmon jello salad.

2 Likes

I wonder if the descendants of the retroclaves will allow their children their own kind of futuristic Rumspringa and let teenagers out into the world of flying cars and jetpacks.
It would cast a whole new light on the Jetsons.

3 Likes

I’m almost complete with only stuff from before 1968. But I’m not doing the clothes thing, at least not yet.

Or maybe the new amish.

2 Likes

We have these “fifties” guys here in Finland too. I like the idea to live in like it has 1959 but I don’t have money or room to bring my apartment back in time.

But I don’t get those tattoos. If I have understood correctly in 50’s only sailors, really bad ass soldiers and prostitutes had those. I’m not sure if even prison tattoos were used at that time. Why do “fiftes” guys so often have them?

I don’t have any cars from 50’s but I have a '48 Packard. Usually I drive it wearing pretty old style clothes and a panama hat.

Just FYI, folks in Toronto can see a few prints from this series in a show that’s up at the AGO right now.

1 Like

That forest is mighty hard to see when you’re focused on only one tree.

If a tree falls in the forest, but it doesn’t make a sound, does it still have quality?