Kim Davis isn't doing her job. Again

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2015/10/07/kim-davis-not-doing-her-job-a.html

Actually charging reasonable fees for copies and time spent on FOIAs is allowed and a common practice.

7 Likes

Yup, that’s what I’m talking about!

Requesting $1600 to print out 6000 emails, and then fax them to a person who you could just as easily email them to doesn’t exactly qualify as “reasonable” in my book.

Who does she think she is, a website designer?

39 Likes

They still have those? How interesting!

3 Likes

Maybe she’s modelling herself on the record labels which still charge artistes a breakage percentage on MP3s.

8 Likes

Well, someone’s got to make all of the designer websites!

2 Likes

Why not sue her to comply with the statue as written (requiring digital files) and request a temporary comptempt of court finding against her to help put some teeth into the “willful disregard for the law” charge. She’s already been disqualified from a great many opportunities in life because of her temper (like donating blood compontents because she’s been in Jail for at least 24 hours).

I’d also like to make a signigicant donation all the democratic primary campaigns for the Rowan County County Clerk (knock her out of the party’s candidate) and to the Democratic and Republican candidates for the same office in the general election (assuming she tries to run as an independent). Anything to eject her from that position of trust.

6 Likes

Is there anyone out there totaling the cost of all these legal bills these uncivil servants run up? If I was in her district, I’d be pretty pissed to know how much she was costing me as a taxpayer.

8 Likes

I don’ t know if the cost is reasonable but I can see the motive for not sending electronic documents.

Electronic docs are notorious for meta-data, if you forward 6000 emails who knows what attachments with confidential information you’re attaching? If you print & scan you can be assured that you’re only sending what you intend to send.

3 Likes

As a qualified ITologist; I say unto thee that he who casts a digital document into the fallen analog world only to re-digitize it shall, without recourse, be consigned unto the special hell forever.

22 Likes

All I can say is I am glad I don’t have a job where random people can request to see all of my email. Not excusing Kim Davis: when you sign up to be a public servant, that is part of the deal, but I am glad I don’t have to worry about that.

4 Likes

Hate to break it to you but if and when your company gets sued (and in America with the majority of the world’s lawyers, it’s when) there’s a great chance random people will be reading your emails.

That’s why your company has a clear and easily implemented email retention policy and automated ability to clean up outdated or trivial email. Your company does have that, right?

12 Likes

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence.

11 Likes

but what do you do when the person in question is unquestionably malicious and only potentially incompetent?

11 Likes

There’s another more elegant solution. I get why simply forwarding them en-mass is not appropriate, but you can print them to PDF (rather than to paper) and the meta data is stripped (Not so much if you convert them to PDF). Bundle the PDFs and email them. No faxing required. Who even has a fax?

12 Likes

And here I thought those two options were interchangeable. I’ve learned my new thing for the day. Thank you!

3 Likes

They’re quite different. The converted file still contains a lot of data other than the text. An example is that the email addresses behind the names are still live links. Attachments also come along for the ride.

1 Like

You can’t donate blood if you’ve been in jail? How the hell bad are american jails?

2 Likes

The entirety of the nhs’s back office staff. I temped in a hospital. I fucking hate fax machines.

1 Like