Kinetic sand - cool weird material to play with

I believe they mention the lack of Gluten because their biggest competitor, Play Doh, is made from flour and not Gluten free.

1 Like

But . . . what’s it for?

(Edited to correct stupid spelling error.)

“If” is for setting up a hypothetical situation.

But that’s not important right now.

No mention about whether it is processed at a facility that also processes nuts. No cholesterol, though, I bet

Ya know! For kids!

I didn’t think it was serious, for exactly the reasons you thought it was ludicrous.

Here in the UK we call that humour.

Oops. Off to edit . . .

The easy way to make something similar is by mixing sand, water and cornflour/cornstarch.

A starch solution is a non-newtonian shear-thickening fluid. Mixing with sand makes the sand a shear-thickening-semi-solid-suspenisiony-thing (that’s the official science name).
Basically, when you compress it, the liquid part thickens and holds the sand particles together.
When you stop compressing it, the liquid part thins and can’t hold the sand together.
(note: it’s a completely different thing to hydrophobic sand)

This product must be using something other than cornflour, hence the ‘gluten free’ bit.
It’s probably got superior binding/shear-thickening qualities to cornflour-sand, since I wouldn’t use the latter on a carpet and it’s not waterproof.

cornstarch doesn’t have gluten, so traditional ooblick (cornstarch and water) is gluten-free.

The FAQ says it doesn’t contain cornstarch, and that each sand particle is coated with a polymer.

Gluten free is good, but is it kosher?

Is it Reg. Penn. Dept. Agr?

Small kids, who also love to play with sand, will put anything in their maw.

Hence, “Play-doh.”

Until they hit the age of 5 or so, only certain acids, immediately-toxic substances, vegetables, and certain hard substances are considered “inedible.”

Do not taunt Kinetic Sand.

the 2% is genetically modified.

i can tell by the pixels.

1 Like

It might be kosher, but will it blend?

Edit: Of all the things on youtube, oobleck in a blender doesn’t seem to be one of them.

We should probably label it. I mean, who knows what could happen. We don’t know. Nobody can prove we know.

1 Like

warning, phobia madeup by reddit!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.