Koch Brothers buy ads on Daily Show, Jon Stewart mercilessly skewers them

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Thatā€¦sweet jeebus Iā€™m wiping tears of joy from my faceā€¦beautiful, just beautiful. In my youth of considering what it would be like to be wealthy, I recall thinking about traveling all over the world, buying lots of books and houses (for the books, of course), and giving a fiver or even (gasp) ten or more dollars to the homeless shelter down the way. I donā€™t ever recall thinking about how easily I could subvert democracy and bend the populace to my will. Why canā€™t they just give money to lots of museums, libraries, and organizations devoted to feeding the poor or building schools or someshit. Would that be so hard to do?

16 Likes

Because anyone could use those things. How would the elite enjoy those things if ā€˜those peopleā€™ could just walk in?

/s

6 Likes

Butā€¦ Ballet!

ā€œWeā€™ll lubricate your birds. Weā€™ll rearrange your polar bearsā€

hahahah oh wow

6 Likes

Hopefully he keeps it up if they do.

7 Likes

The ballet??

8 Likes

When I had the stomach to watch Sunday morning political shows, it was always amazing to see the parade of military contractors, agropolies, and oil companies which were the sole sponsors.

Oh wellā€¦ surely they had no effect on the perceived legitimate boundaries of mainstream political discourse, right?

5 Likes

They did give a bunch of money to the Smithsonian to revamp the dinosaur exhibitā€¦ (actually sounds like more self-interest)

10 Likes

Excellent question. This is my theory.
Mostly, itā€™s because they are really, really horrible people and are wired different than anyone else. OK, not that big a leap.
There are some exceptions, but to arrive at this level like the Kochs - and not to confuse ā€œrichā€ people with guys like this with staggering wealth - you have to be able to turn off that gene that would make you a normal person with empathy, etcā€¦ Or just be born without it at all. Most normal, well adjusted and thought out people realize that they live in a larger world than that which closely surrounds them and behave accordingly.
Anyone that has been successful and is doing well should be thankful and feel fortunate. That probably applies to a good number of this readership as well. On a different level, of course, but guys like these two are NOT thankful or feel fortunate at all. In their eyes, they are on the same level as Jonas Salk.
Just my 2 centsā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m not exactly the hugest fan of the Koch brothers, but they do in fact give large amounts of money to all kinds of charities and organizations, including aforemtioned museums, libraries, and organizations for feeding the poor:

But thatā€™s whatever to most people, people can only be one thing, not both things.

2 Likes

They sure got their moneyā€™s worth for that 30 second spot. It got shown three times extra for FREE!

4 Likes

I think what he meant (and how I answered) is more about them fundamentally as human beings.

1 Like

They wanted the exhibit fixed. They had noticed some inaccuracies from how they remember the paleolithic era.

13 Likes

For those of you in Canukistan or other third world country where you canā€™t access Daily Show links online, you can find a lovely video of this on youtube:

8 Likes

<3 Stewart

I canā€™t help wondering if weā€™re anywhere close to a critical mass of sanityā€¦

2 Likes

Needs John Oliver. No one shits on the powerful like him. It was good, but too cute and not insulty enough. Also: whatā€™s with the ballet bit? I feel like itā€™s a veiled homophobic jibe.

Also: America would be better if those guys were dead. Just saying.

PS Comedy Central: you guys are fucking stupid. Last Week Tonight has it right: put up viral bite-size bits on youtube for sharability and international audience but keep the full eps for subscribers. For those that donā€™t know, Comedy Central geo-locks their shit to north america. Of course, if I feel like it, itā€™s trivial to run a VPN and watch the clip. CC are not stopping anyone who wants to from watching their stuff, and they should realise by now that if people want to steal it, they will.

Oh, they can geo-locate a joke but not geo-locate viewer tracking? How about: Iā€™m not going to your shitty regional site and digging manually through to find (or maybe not find) what Iā€™m looking for. Iā€™m going to click ā€˜okā€™ on tunnelbear and watch it embedded where it is, for free. Or Iā€™ll just go pirate it: http://watchseries.ag/serie/the_daily_show

15 Likes

+1 every word.

2 Likes

I wonder how Jon Stewartā€™s skit would have gone in a world where the majority of newspapers and TV networks were more like Fox News rather than MSNBC; if Washington was abolishing many programs and cutting spending drastically and the Koch brothers were liberals who were legally working within the current system to try and elect liberals and get a liberal message out?

I wonder who he would demonize in this scenario?