Ladies and Gentlemen, The Washington Post

There is a way to weed out ignorance. It is called education.

23 Likes

It doesn’t matter if rock beats scissors if rock can’t beat paper first.

10 Likes

Yes, and reporters seriously need to report that HRC’s support from corporations is categorically different from Sanders support from small donor individuals.

It’s very different for policy questions, and very different for getting the policies through Congress after Sanders is elected.

Sanders’ support is a movement. HRC’s is still a branding campaign.

Thank you for saying so. I agree. The Kagan article really hit me hard.

9 Likes

Corporate-hired “reporters” are of course muzzled from doing actual reporting. The rub is that the same level of mega-corporations that now control mainstream media increasingly control government as well. Hello fascism! The idea of a fifth estate – relatively unbiased, effectively corrective forms of journalism – seems just about dead in the U.S.

Yep. And so is corporate “reporting.” Such people mostly function as sales reps for their particular corporate “news” outlets, and for themselves. And for the whole self-perpetuating status quo, which continues to funnel ever more money upward, while further degrading the living standards of the rest of us.

9 Likes

Yes, for sure. Journalists are human and need day jobs like the rest of us.

Though I wonder how we might do more after hours to coordinate more effective resistance … share some real news.

1 Like

we’re all just pissed because this wasn’t posted in the bbs CaH thread right?

3 Likes

Well, social media and other platforms for clicktivism keep growing, of course. Sanders surely does especially well with younger voters because such voters pay less attention to corporate media, and generally distrust it. But then, so do a lot of conservative voters (who think it’s the opposite of what it actually is, chock full of leftist bias and so on).

And, the worse things get for most of us, the more we’re likely to start resisting collectively, and effectively. I think also that Sanders and his “movement,” such as it is, have done a LOT to further legitimize collective leftist dissent.

6 Likes

And now we see why the American education systems is what it is,

2 Likes

That’s interesting. Which platforms did you have in mind besides boingboing?

I’ve been surprised by the “top down” digital model of the Sanders organization, for example.

They send emails with links to click and donate or subscribe to GOTV news instead of, say, helping poll and network local stakeholders on issues.

Some might argue the national DSA is not experienced or effective at community organizing — digital or otherwise.

And Facebook (yikes!) at best represents a strong digital trend of commodifying and negating political organization.

OMG IKR? I have the same problem, except it’s worse. A great many people who vote my way do so for the wrong reasons. They’re just as bad because then I have to sigh loudly and explain things, just like with people who vote the wrong way.

10 Likes

Yeah, this is going to be the frustrating thing now - the media has made a boatload off this dumb election, so no matter what, it’s going to be a ‘tight horserace’ until November. If Trump or Hillary is getting crushed by 30% in every single poll, they’ll find (or make) the one poll where it’s close and trumpet it endlessly.

2 Likes

Removing ignorant politicians would be more efficient and administratively supportable.

State and federal legislatures, governors and presidents should have minimum education requirements that can be met by taking classes to fill in any gaps. Ethics, history, economics, biology, finance, and civics are basic courses that come to mind.

Once elected, they should be required to take continuing education like most professionals.

13 Likes

should we really trust the algorithm?

it’s far too easy to use what seems like neutral content to push specific articles (re: facebook, et al.) certainly, they aren’t the most read articles ever – so some sort of windowing, and winnowing is at play.

( and the un-talked about issue in facebook’s case is: filtering topics that might be considered negative about facebok. )

3 Likes

I kind of like your concept of continuing education but I have concern about the various teachers who might try to provide the education.

2 Likes

It does say “most read” so the algorithm is most likely just counting how often the tracking pixel was called.

2 Likes

Trump could pay for his trade war with a poll tax. [/modest proposal]

5 Likes

i know it’s a bit paranoid, but when we already know facebook curates, and buy doesn’t mean buy – there’s little reason to take such things at face value.

we already know it can’t be most read – because they are all recent pieces. a truly most read list would have lots of old pieces as well. they probably also cull sporting and weather pages. that means some sort of algorithm is at play.

even though the washington post is considered reasonably trustworthy ( we assume they don’t have humans mucking with the mechanics, and we assume the same set of articles are presented to all people who visit at the same time ) maybe it’s worth being a little suspect of a source unless they explicitly spell out what that kind of phrase means.

1 Like

something something, ownership of large media interests same wealth class as corporate ownership yadda yadda something…

1 Like

The post is paywalled. You can only read a certain number of articles before it becomes inconvenient. So the Trolly articles get read by the outsiders, and presumably more conventional journallism gets read by the subscribers.

3 Likes

The problem there is that the people who are interested in spending time discussing the issues are your core supporters and volunteers who are going to vote for you regardless, so you want them out there, working on other voters. Now, among staff - yes, if information flow is too much top down then you have issues.

But I’m just talking about “the way it is.” Perhaps the bottom up model, as you put it, could bring about better results in an election where you thought you could get a lot of persuasion (as opposed to GOTV). It would be a really hard sell, to the sort of person that you’d need to buy it. I’ve worked for that person before (not this cycle), and they were good.

1 Like