Law licenses are expensive to get

[Permalink]

Don’t forget the $150-$250k to attend law school so you’ll be eligible to sit for that exam and get that law license, all to stand a good chance of landing a job that pays $50k a year, or not get a job at all.

2 Likes

I will try to remember this when some former college buddies humblebrag about internships at some law place in the Bronx or wherever. I will also project this upon doctors and other desirable careers. Whatever makes me feel better about myself.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the cost of study books and courses centered on just passing the Bar.

Of course law licenses aren’t smart investments. As we look at all training in terms of whether or not it is a smart investment we are gradually finding out that the only smart field to get into is finances, because we give all of our money to people in finances for no reason. At some point when we all work shuffling money from one bank account to another and patting ourselves on the back about how rich we are, someone will wonder why there is nothing to eat.

8 Likes

In several states it is still possible to become eligible to sit the bar exam by “reading the law”- in other words, serving an apprenticeship with a practising lawyer. This is, of course, the way Abraham Lincoln, Robert H. Jackson, Clarence Darrow and many other prominent American lawyers qualified.

Many fewer people do it than attend law school, and the bar exam pass rate is significantly lower, but it does still happen.

2 Likes

Still seems cheaper than the costs associated with becoming a licensed architect. Perhaps more expensive than getting a professional engineering license.

Paul Campos at Lawyers, Guns & Money has been doing a lot of work over the last few years on the basic law school scam: way more people are getting law degrees than have a realistic chance of making enough money to pay off their law school debt, and law schools expanded (both in number of schools and number of students per school) to take advantage of this.

2 Likes

Not sure why $1000 would be considered expensive, especially since it’s a 1 time cost?
A fishing licence will cost you 50 bucks a year.

I thought to become an architect you just declared you were one loudly, probably at a stuffy professor who wants to reduce you to mediocrity.

5 Likes

Yes, but in Minnesota you can get a lifetime fishing license. It is only $508 for most adults, but if someone gets it for you before you turn 3, it is only $304. Much better investment than a law license.

2 Likes

Outside of, potentially, civil engineering, the huge majority of engineering jobs do not require a professional engineering license. Typically a degree in any of the hard sciences, math, or engineering is sufficient, but I know a guy with an associate’s in liberal arts who started as a tool operator, switched to a different company as a technician, and is now an engineer at a third company, which is paying for him to actually get an engineering degree.

Well that used to be an acceptable path to licensure, it seems most states have cracked down on that. However you can still legally design a 2 story house in Los Angeles with that method.

I suppose I should have specified Civil and Structural engineering.

Cry me a river. Compare the costs of graduating with an MD!

Yep, that’s why artists make so much money. It’s 'cuz they hardly spend any money on supplies and tools…

My wife’s grandmother became a lawyer by reading law to pass the bar exam, since of course back in those days she couldn’t go to law school because she was a woman. She mostly practiced in Arizona, but also the US Virgin Islands for a while.

Architects take 7 tests at $200 each, each test is one month studying.
That is after 5 years of schooling and 3 years of low-pay internship.
All for a 40k job with unpaid overtime and 60 hour work-weeks.
LAWYERS NEED NOT COMPLAIN

Considering a lot of the shit condominium architecture going up around here in the past ten years, I’d say real estate developers are significantly overpaying those $40K/yr architects.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.