Leaks to US news media are as bad as terrorism, says new Defense directive

[Permalink]

Read The Nation's interview with Snowden yesterday and something he mentioned stuck with me. Instead of talking about “national” security in America, we should be using the phrase “state” security instead (and I agree):

“We have a media that goes along with the government by parroting phrases intended to provoke a certain emotional response—for example, “national security.” Everyone says “national security” to the point that we now must use the term “national security.” But it is not national security that they’re concerned with; it is state security. And that’s a key distinction. We don’t like to use the phrase “state security” in the United States because it reminds us of all the bad regimes. But it’s a key concept, because when these officials are out on TV, they’re not talking about what’s good for you. They’re not talking about what’s good for business. They’re not talking about what’s good for society. They’re talking about the protection and perpetuation of a national state system.”

As to leaks in the media being as bad as terrorism, well, that’s why they’re the DOD–when you’re a hammer…

4 Likes

Isn’t this the same administration that promised to protect whistleblowers when Obama was campaigning?

(page 7)

1 Like

Stop calling it terrorism and start calling it for what it is: treason! Hang these SOB’s.

How are we the voters supposed to know what is happening with our implied consent when there would be no leaks to tell us at least bits and pieces of unaltered, uncensored truth? Please, pretty please, tell us?

Wouldn’t promising us A and doing B count more as a treason than leaking us data about B?

1 Like

if you’re going to make such a sweeping assertion you should really offer more of an argument than “because I SAY so.”

your commentary record here leads me to suspect you won’t, but i remain an optimist.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.