Leather goods made from recycled baseball mitts

[Permalink]

1 Like

It would be cool to commission them to do a custom one with your own little league glove.

1 Like

I love the concept, but those look terribly made. Strong enough, perhaps, but crude.

1 Like

I wonder if it would work to bind books with the salvaged leather.

hmm seems like a good idea, might wanna consider doing that myself…wonder where you go to get disused baseball gloves…a school?

Wish I had access to a source for the mitts. If I had enough money to blow on unnecessary stuff, I’d love a sofa made of recycled baseball mitts.

1 Like

I think the crudeness or rough construction is its charm.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can see that. But my preference would be for meticulous construction as an aesthetic contrast to the recycled and imperfect (but very interesting and charming) raw materials.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

This. I’d be far more interested in something exactly like this.

Ebay seems to be decent if you have the time. I have seen them in lots of 3 or 5, sometimes for $10 or less. I have no idea about the quality, but they’re there!

This is so great. Why should some poor kid be able to buy a used baseball glove at an affordable price when they can be made into these vaguely interesting wallets. There’s also a great charity that sends used baseball gloves to U.S. soldiers stationed overseas, but hey! cool $150 wallet, bro.

I like this work, I’m toting a machine stitched hand made wallet from Saddleback. I wish I could make my own fine leather goods: I’ve cut the leather out of car seats at the pick-and-pull junkyard, and cut up found leather jackets to get inexpensive leather for projects around the house (upholstery and tool holders). The one leather item I made and sold was a sheath that came with a knife I forged, but that was store bought tooling leather.

The tradeoff with machine precision versus the slightly jagged hand stitching is the strength of the stitch. With hand stitching leather, two threads follow a figure-eight pattern through the material; but machines use a lock stitch where there is a bottom thread and a top thread that lock in the middle. With the hand stitching, if a thread breaks the whole seam doesn’t unravel, so while the stitch line varies somewhat, it is stronger. I’ve used both stitches, it just depends on the application and the taste of the craftsman and customer.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.