Leather wristband ruler

[Permalink]

Donā€™t want to be a buzKill but leather is pretty much the worst material for making a ruler. Well. 2nd. The first being skin.

6 Likes

Wouldnā€™t this stretch over time?

Although I guess it would be more accurate than my terrible guesses, even if it was stretched a bit.

1 Like

Now I can measure stuff while Iā€™m shooting up. Yay!

3 Likes

Iā€™d wager that licorice and meat are even less satisfactory.

Easy to make on a laser cutter, it seems.

Likely would. But thatā€™s what occasional checks against a metal or even plastic ruler are for.

Thought for a tattoo. Some kind of a dye that can be switched between colored and colorless, e.g. by heating to 42ā€™C (or some other temperature tolerable by the skin for a short time but not usual to encounter in places other than sauna) and applying a laser pulse, or applying two different wavelengths of laser, or so. Some kind of a bistable structure. Use it to tattoo a large solid area.

Then the tattoo could be erased and renewed, as desired.

Arenā€™t they both the same thing?

2 Likes

I imagine that TSA will be confiscating lots of these. Thou shalt have no ruler other than The Most Exalted Paranoia!

1 Like

Not exactly. I think the main difference is the tanning step.

This was in Canada, rather than the 'States (of FearĀ®), so make of it what you wanā€™t, but some time ago, I was going through security at an airport and the commissionaire pulled my vernier calipers out of my carry-on caseā€¦ Oops! I apologized profusely. The older commissionaire next to him looked at them, turned to me and asked me: "Are you a technician? -Yes,"I replied. ā€œItā€™s Ok,ā€, he said, turning to the first one, ā€œitā€™s a ruler.ā€

I thanked him, apologized again ('cuz, yā€™know, Canajan, eh), and continued to the boarding gate.

3 Likes

What the tanning step may look like:

3 Likes

I have an amazing technology for you:

2 Likes

I love this tattoo and Iā€™m seriously considering getting one that also shows cm, but I feel it necessary to mention that these tattoos are also popular with several subsets of gay and leather culture, specifically those people interested in ā€œhandballing.ā€ Iā€™ll leave it to the reader to google that term, preferably from their home computer.

Source: Many nights spent in LGBTQ-friendly bars around town. An education priceless beyond compare.

4 Likes

Excuse me while I whip this out.

(Blazing Saddles)

Bike chain links are exactly 1/2" center to center. Bike chain also looks pretty badass as a bracelet. A quick-link is much more fiddly to remove one-handed than a snap though. You might be able to file out an outside link just enough to have it hold securely but still snap open one-handed.

Donā€™t use old chain though - the pins wear, so the chain effectively ā€˜stretchesā€™

1 Like

I find it more useful to just know how long and wide different body parts are. My fingers, palms, and forearm are more stable over time than my skin will be.

2 Likes

I can think of a body part that tends to change dimension periodically and may make for a poor ruler. Mind you, the changes are less frequent now than they were in my youth.

1 Like

But Iā€™ll bet youā€™ve measured it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.