Liquor consumption, by country

See also: Black Out Korea.

Came here to write that. Not to say that South Koreans aren´t pretty heavy drinkers, but equating soju with vodka or whiskey is just stupid.

Drinking styles influence these numbers. My snapshot of the world is admittedly tiny and skewed, but goes like this:

Russian: If you’ve go a bottle, it’s time for a drink. Food is always appreciated but not needed. I learned the nifty trick of finishing off a bottle of vodka at lunch so you have time to sober up at work before going home.
American: Out with friends, separate from a meal. Benders are common.
Chinese: After a meal, everyone starts making toasts with starter fluid, er, whatever the heck that stuff is.
Ireland: Round out an evening at the pub. Very social.
Mexico: Pickle the tourist.
Australia: When beer just isn’t getting the job done.

And whatever you do, avoid mixing two groups. One-ups-manship gets out of control. Those and Germans, Koreans, Jamaicans. They’ve all tried to kill me in their own boozy way.

The distinction of “hard liquor” and other booze does not really make sense to me. Doesn’t everybody know people who make a point of not drinking “hard liquor”, but by the amount of beer or wine they regularly consume can be considered alcoholics?

Good to see Britain’s healthy balance between sources of nutrition, unlike the wine-obsessed French.

Russia really needs an intervention, doesn’t it? Look at all that Voddy.

2 Likes

Still thinking about Russians. I suppose the chart considers the booze bought in the shops going through the cash register.

Ah, I see the mix-up. “Liquor” has numerous different usages varying by region, and I read it as the general “booze” meaning, rather than the meaning I personally would normally use the word “spirits” for.

Ahh, English.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.