Machine Era's multitool is reduced to the essentials

I bought one! No knife=don’t have to remember to remove it before flying.

8 Likes

If I had to sacrifice a P-38 can opener to TSA, you stand a fair chance of losing this, too.

Speaking as someone with a toe in the water of this industry, I am tired of “bottle opener” being included in every single one of these so-called multi-tools. Bottle openers are the low-hanging fruit of multi-tools, since you can open a bottle with literally any flat piece of metal.

I’m pretty skeptical of claims that these work as pry bars as well. How much leverage can you possibly get with a tool slightly larger than your thumbnail?

Also, these guys missed the chance to incorporate an unusable hex wrench where the hole is. This fad for worst-tool-for-the-job, not-a-knife multi-tools is played out.

11 Likes

I don’t know. It looks very good at ripping apart those annoying flaps on the inside of pants. :wink:

6 Likes

Imperial measurements? Really?

3 Likes

Good enough for Vader, good enough for me.

5 Likes

The tool has both.

Hrm, what about a multi tool in the shape of a key?

Why, hello!

1 Like

Fortunately there is no way that concealing a blade could ever complicate things.

1 Like

But next time I’m sitting in my airplane seat and realize I need to measure and fix a part of the plane, Im going to be crazy satisfied that I took the risk to get my multi tool onboard.

2 Likes

In that case, try the Gerber Artifact?
( southwestgerberknives.com - This website is for sale! - southwestgerberknives Resources and Information. )

Evil needs Imperial, “I’ll flog you to within 25.4mm of your life!” really doesn’t work.

4 Likes

They could have included something to jam the reclining mechanism on the seat in front of you.

2 Likes

I had one of those for a while. The tool was so small that it was difficult to deploy the X-acto blade without cutting myself. Also, I never found anything to pry where the prybar was a better option than my fingernails (either my fingernails were good enough, or I needed a significantly better tool).

There are a whole lot of those out there, but they’re basically the equivalent of no tool at all. Plus, I have no need to sneak tools onto planes.

The Leatherman Wave is a proper multi-tool. These little flat doo-dads are basically bottle openers with bad ergonomics.

1 Like

Multi-tool…

3 Likes

I use a leatherman skeletool, which is the best combo I’ve found so far. It’s a lot lighter than other similarly sized tools, and it has a decent-sized blade that can easily be opened with one hand, so I don’t need a separate pocketknife.

I am looking for a multitool that doesn’t have a knife, because of a habit of self-harm in the past. Not this one though, I prefer my Gerber Shard.

2 Likes

I found my skeletool, which used to be on my keychain, is just too damn big to carry in my pocket every day. I went to a squirt until TSA took it from me last summer.

Oh lord, don’t start with that here.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.