Make Ascii art with Playscii

[Permalink]

1 Like

Thatā€™s not ASCII art thatā€™s PETSCII C/G art (commodore PET character set - well Commodore 64 more precisely - color graphics charactersā€¦) Very popular with Commodore BBSs back in the day.

Thank god! Now I can make that Dwarf Fortress fan art thatā€™s been burning in my soul and get it on paper - er - characters.

2 Likes

In the article pic, yup thatā€™s the C64 PET set. But the app also has the apple 2, atari, C64 edscii, dos ascii, jpetscii, sharp, and speccy sets.

2 Likes

OMG! Commodore 64 Petscii!

Iā€™ve really been enjoying Emacs artist-mode for text art and grafx2 for low color images / gifs lately.

ASCII not Ascii - itā€™s an abbreviation, not a word. Boing has been around long enough to know better. (So have I, but Iā€™m still typing this).

Depends on which style guide youā€™re following.

Ascii is an acronym, so writing it with just an initial capital is preferred in some places - hereā€™s The Guardian:

Use all capitals if an abbreviation is pronounced as the individual letters (an initialism): BBC, CEO, US, VAT, etc; if it is an acronym (pronounced as a word) spell out with initial capital, eg Nasa, Nato, Unicef, unless it can be considered to have entered the language as an everyday word, such as awol, laser and, more recently, asbo, pin number and sim card. Note that pdf and plc are lowercase.

I can only imagine they were driving trollies when they wrote ā€˜pin numberā€™.

1 Like

I feel those are sloppy new standards. When I was taking Journalism every title or abbreviation had to be typed with capitals. I still wonā€™t type ā€œpicā€ as a word. The one bugging me most often is Mother, without a capital.

Language changes and evolves but in the old newsgroup for ASCII art none of the regular posters and artists typed it as Ascii. Anyone new and typing it that way was corrected. So, thatā€™s what Iā€™m sticking with.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.