Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Making progress on a knitting project:

Like I need another hat, but the yarn (a silk/merino blend) was a gift and I like the feel of it. And the pattern was free, so bonus points on that. The pattern’s pretty easy, and I’m pretty pleased with the way it’s looking so far!

14 Likes

That looks amazing. I’ve been meaning to try my hand at cabling but haven’t gotten around to it except on test pieces. I’m not sure jealous is the right term but again it looks amazing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As you’ve pretty much figured out, the key to hat knitting is practice. (Easy for a long time knitter to say. Over 30 years, coming up on 35 too soon.)

5 Likes

Oooh I really like the open-weave look on that. So delicate!

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s not even cabling - the lace pattern is just knit stitches, YOs, SSKs and K2TOGs. Once you get the hang of it, it’s easy-peasy. No, really!

6 Likes

Just sanded down and rewaxed a couple of old cutting boards. Nothing big in the works.

6 Likes

Oooh, I hadn’t thought of lavender. I was going to try stirring in some coconut next time we had toast.

3 Likes

Oh my gods. I would never have guessed. K2TOGs have been my bread and butter for decreases but I’ve only recently started SSKing.

2 Likes

wax?

1 Like

beekeepers gold [beeswax/mineral oil]

4 Likes

Well I never knew. Thanks for teaching me something.

4 Likes

I am not pure snark, gifs, and asshattery, just the horn :wink:

5 Likes

Wow. Pretty. Kudos.

2 Likes

Love your needle tips!

5 Likes

So, I’d been wanting a bluetooth keyboard and trackpad for a while. I spilled water on my laptop keyboard and fried a few of the keys, so I could finally justify the purchase.

First, let me say: quality of life significantly improved. all the more so, due to my screen constantly blinking out, I need to use my flatscreen as a monitor. Plugging the computer in to the monitor and power over by the TV stand and using the keyboard remotely is a godsend.

But of course, nothing ever works how you envision it will when you order it. These things were designed for tabletop use and I want them both on my table and also in my lap.

First step was affixing the 'pad to the 'board. (apologies for terrible pix)

This was done first with steel tape, but the edges needed reinforcement with gorilla tape after a day. (the wood bit came later, as I’ll explain.)

So far. so good, except when it wasn’t in my lap, the build rested on both components’ battery cases which left the 'pad cantilevered in the air; it was was straining the tape and not possible to use on a flat surface. The typing angle of the 'board was a bit flat, as well. Both issues solved by crafting a spacer-wedge out of construction foam and held together with some glue and an overlay of steel tape which also keeps the colors themed nicely.

Cool thing is, it isn’t affixed to the 'board at all, it just wedges in between both battery cases with friction (shown separately and upside-down)

Before I ordered it, I assumed the whole trackpad clicked like it was a Trouble pop-o-matic bubble (which it really ought to.) After it arrived, I didn’t think the pad was clickable at first and I was using the “tap” setup (which was too sensitive and kept selecting stuff when I didn’t want to) but then I realized that the click buttons are in the feet. Again, not compatible with lap use, so I had to affix the board under there. That part could work better, I’d size it a bit differently if I were to do it again, but it’s still pretty good. I’m pretty happy with how it all works right now.

13 Likes

Finished a short fantasia for novice cellist and experienced organist in time for Christmas, demo here:

This may be subject to some change: potential problems for a novice would be the low range of the opening and the relatively long notes of the middle section, but I’m waiting for the novice in question to try it out before I change anything. (The novice in question is a fairly quick study.)

I’m currently working on a chorale prelude (about half-done, a big one for the genre, estimate about 6+ minutes, doppio pedale), and trying to get going again on some sketches that are hanging fire - very hard to pick up where one leaves off after a significant interruption, at least for me.

13 Likes

cool!

(the organ is ever-so-slightly overpowering the cello in the mix, IMO)

speaking of cello, I just found out about this chamber music recording. it’s not my normal milieu but i thought it was pretty great

3 Likes

Thank you. Yeah, the mix is a slightly rough MIDI demo. For a real performance, I would depend on the organist keeping the registration soft enough to allow the 'cello to come through. In the middle section with the longer notes in the 'cello, that’s a little less necessary - the cello is more or less accompanying the organ (although those long notes are actually Gregorian chant - that is an Agnus Dei).

Rachel’s is pleasant, but, for all they claim influence by Michael Nyman, there seems to be some Debussy in the background. (There probably is in Nyman as well.) That’s OK. Debussy is a gateway drug into classical music - at least it was for me…

1 Like

I have a few of those, mine fall off the smaller needles too easily. Gave me a sad 'cause they’re so cute. I use the construction road cone shaped ones, they stick well on every size so far (never tried knitting with 1" diameter tree branches, so YMMV).

1 Like

Black and white or color?