Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Y’know, I’m more along the opposite lines. Write a tutorial? Yes! Talk to people for hours on end? Not so much!

8 Likes

Tradesies?

2 Likes

He wants butcher block around the range, but I’m not convinced mixed counter materials is a great idea. We’re looking into Paperstone, and some DIY resin/glass stuff. I really, really want recycled glass countertops (sooooo pretty), but way too expensive. If this DIY thing turns out to be do-able, we already have about 20 lbs of broken/scrap stained glass in the basement from past projects that I can tumble in a rock tumbler. Or it’s an excuse to drive up to East Lansing to the stained glass store to pick a few sheets of specific colors.

9 Likes

Heh, totally!

3 Likes

Two types of counters? Yeah, I’d be sceptical. But its all taste so what do I know :smile:

I have a rental in Arizona that has extravagant looking counters, and here is what I can tell you. If they are dark, they are hard to clean (as in hard to see what is dirty, even in Arizona full sun). Extremely light, like the white counters I had in 2005 were equally as annoying, since you could see a piece of dandruff.

Recycled glass looks great, but wow that will be a job :D. Forming 8-12 foot sections of resin and glass is, well, beyond my skill level (I think).

Heh, kitchen counter nerds Activate!

4 Likes

Color is still not chosen. It’s sunny only about 40% of the time here in Michigan, so dark would probably be OK as we’re doing natural birch cabinet fronts. I hate beige with the fire of a million stars, and he’s against doing gray, so we have some negotiations ahead of us. My best guess is we’ll end up at dark gray if we don’t do the glass thing. Still haven’t figured out backsplash tile, either. So many pretty, expensive options available.

How, exactly, are you turning the crank?

3 Likes

Are you against making your own concrete/glass slab? I’ve seen some pretty good tutorials on HGTV.

2 Likes

Here’s the latest one. I’ve passed this corner on my daily walk for a year now, and I had to paint it. Really not the style I’m trying to direct my work, but it was so compelling.

I need to start looking for someone who give me more advanced lessons on technique with the paint and brush, but not in the Richard Schmid tradition. To me, it’s got this Hopper quality in it’s execution, and I always thought he was a bit clumsy with oils compared to watercolor. Maybe I’m just being too hard on myself.

24 Likes

I love it

2 Likes

Not at all, but my SO kinda is. Which is weird. He’s OK with concrete, and he’d be OK with the recycled glass if we could afford the pre-made version, but he’s not OK with mixing glass into concrete. I don’t get it. Might be worth broaching the subject again, though. I think we could probably get away with doing a mix of glass, unsanded grout and resin. That is approximately what’s used in the name-brand versions, and would let us have something of a range of colors to choose from.

3 Likes

Well, I certainly wish I owned my own place so I could do just that. I love those kinds of countertops.

2 Likes

There’s a long historical context for using multiple materials for counters in a single kitchen- butcher block for… butchery, marble for pastry, stainless steel for hygiene, etc…
Personally, I dig granite for my main counters (though, money-no-object quartz or one of the other spiffy maintenance materials would be just fine, too) and I REALLY like butcher block for kitchen islands. Ideally (since I’m on a roll…) super-thick end grain. Like 8 inches thick. Sure, it’d weigh a (literal) ton, but man… so nice. Think of how long it’d last, even with routine sanding to take out blemishes?
And since I’ve just bought a new house, and it has no island…

6 Likes

I’m not crafty at all.

But I did a couple of pumpkins that came out okay tonight.

16 Likes

Okay, here’s another one. The darks/translucents are still a bit tacky, so I need to wait a day before making a final pass over it to smooth out some things, like the shadow between the chair leg and the dog’s cast shadow, and deepen the darks in his coat a bit.

May I get some serious opinions on this one?
This happens to be my “Hail Mary”, because I need to sell 100 prints a.s.a.p. (thinking of starting with family and friends before working outwards from there) if I want to get myself out of some immediate debt and put some food in the fridge.
I think it’s a good art-lover/dog-lover crossover, so I hope that works in my favor.

I apologize for the wonky angle, but it’s fresh off the easel and the wet paint is creating glare.

13 Likes

Oh stop it.

I’m always so jealous of folks who can put paint down like this.

11 Likes

Is she… Is she browsing the BBS?

14 Likes

No, I’m serious!

Getting people to like it is not the hardest part. The hardest part is getting people to like it enough to want to put a few dollars down on a reproduction, or even buy the original. Food on the table trumps art on the wall, I suppose.

10 Likes

Hang on, there’s a small dog in-frame, too. Hmmmmm…

1 Like

So, opinions on technique, subject matter, or sellability? (Or all three? I live with a painter :D)