Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Beewax candels with the 5 year old, who, no idea how, loves Christmas and can’t wait.

12 Likes

And after a few hours, kid loong gone to important errands, like his lego. But he crafted a vew nice ones. (on the left gege).

(edit, urgh… Need to look at my phone images size, sorry for that)

9 Likes

I got itchy to make something so I make a deck of cards (kinda like Oblique Strategies, but focused around helping with Instructional Design).

The deck is 43 cards right now- but I’m sure I’ll be adding to it.

12 Likes

I made a series of rubber stamps that have images which can be combined in a wide variety of ways to make different scenes or creatures. They were inspired by those “make a monster”-type picture books for kids. I may continue adding to the set, haven’t decided yet if this is something I should try to monetize/mass produce or just do for fun.

After I had the stamps made I left them out for my kids to play with along with some watercolors. They were momentarily entertained, anyway.

34 Likes

Did you CNC those? Or hand cut them?
Because I want me some.
Seriously- those are awesome. You should totally sell them.

15 Likes

WAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!

BTW, nice to see you!

8 Likes

I just drew the line art and used a service at rubberstamps.net after they offered me a bulk order discount. I was tempted to buy a laser cutter and make them myself but I wasn’t sure if it would be worthwhile so I decided to do a test run first. Maybe I’ll save up for one of those GlowForge laser cutters if it ends up turning into a bigger project. (Possibly a kickstarter? Hmmm.)

This was going to be my Show & Tell for the Boing Boing Weekend of Wonder but I ended up missing the event for family reasons. I’ll try to bring some to play with at the next BB event.

15 Likes

Was there a thread about writing in here somewhere? I can’t seem to find it.

OK, honest feedback: that Tiki mask one. Legitimately unoffensive kitsch or borderline racist cultural appropriation? I was obviously going for the former but I’m not sure I can be objective.

EDIT to add: I’ve thought more about it and I’ve decided I’m gonna drop the little body in the grass skirt since that kind of perpetuates stereotypical “little savage” caricatures I’ve seen from ages past. Maybe I’ll keep a little body but just put him in a different outfit.

I still haven’t decided whether the Tiki mask is offensive in and of itself, I’d hate to offend any Polynesian people out there. Thoughts anyone?

I want those too. I want a tiki mask on tank tracks with a big rack.

3 Likes

“Rule 34” I guess…

15 Likes

I’m trying to write a short D&D 5e adventure for my group’s existing characters. I haven’t DMed a game in … uh … possibly 25 years. I’m not sure how this is going to go, since my group tends to talk its way out of conflicts that should be fights, and murder everything they should have talked to :laughing:. (3/4 of the party runs on pure Charisma, last adventure instead of fighting a dragon, we just … convinced it to leave. By asking.)

But, I did find this, which is neat. You can balance encounters by monster challenge rating or by experience points. It’s helping me to figure out what level stuff should be to challenge us without killing the party. http://dhmholley.co.uk/encounter-calculator-5th/
Apparently we can fight 4 owlbears with ease. 5, if our usual DM rolls a character for this session.

5 Likes

I will now have ‘I punch the dwarf’ stuck in my head all day, thanks to that and Borderlands 2.
I haven’t played a pen/paper RPG proper in 20+ years now. Once I found out that with all my figures you can just do a big battles with them on the table, all downhill. Then 40K came out on top of that.

1 Like

I’m still working on my dissertation. But I should have an article coming out in an e-book on Doctor Who at some point… Will keep you all informed.

11 Likes

when in doubt

#Always Monetize

6 Likes

Oh, and I’m working on NaNoGenMo 2015, right now.

I think my results from last year were much more interesting, but I’m learning a lot and making something, so there’s that!

2 Likes

21 Likes

Not exactly arts and crafts, but I wrote a business plan and started a company in the last few months. However I’m probably going to just fold it up again because I didn’t raise enough money by the deadline and so it can’t go where I’d planned.

To make a very long story short, I was hoping to put in an application in January for one of the 3 medical marijuana dispensary licenses for Honolulu, but to be eligible I would have had to raise $1.2 million by October 29. Turns out it’s hard to get people to give you a million bucks, or even a half million. Who knew, right?

Still thinking about other ways to be involved.

6 Likes

I can’t speak for a whole multi-national set of cultures of course, but for what it’s worth I have not seen any Hawaiians to be seriously offended by the tiki culture thing.

Some who I’ve known have enjoyed it as a kitsch fantasy setting for bars and what-not as much as the next person. In fact at LavaNet we used to have a couple of gigantic fiberglass tiki statues for our display at trade shows here in Hawai’i and we never got a single word of complaint about them.

4 Likes

That is really good.

2 Likes