Man buried retirement cash, only to have it eaten by worms

Like… decide to “remember” a higher value of their cash on hand?

Ironic, if he had actually put the money in the bank it would probably have been eaten by fat cats instead.

5 Likes

Seems to me money is a lot like Plutonium. A little bit of it fizzles away relatively quickly. But get a critical mass of it all mashed up in exotic financial devices, and it can wreak untold havoc on people not even tangentially related to it, causing pain and hardship for whole populations.

That’s why I like handling it as rarely as possible.

4 Likes

money can buy poverty if you spend enough of it.

5 Likes

gesundheit

1 Like

Seems like the kind of story governments and banks would like told around dinner tables in China and elsewhere.

1 Like

So, what are you doing this evening? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The lid… the steel lid is a problem.

Every good survivalist knows that you need to use a glued shut section of PVC pipe with plastic water tight screw on ends!

2 Likes

I thought you’d just use a brass lid?

1 Like

Also corrodes, albeit more slowly. I guess if you’re totally flush, you could use a gold lid…

1 Like

Hastelloy. And we’re still within the realm of expensive-but-off-the-shelf industrial piping. It’s costly but markedly less than gold.

If we want to stay in the realm of copper alloys, we could use e.g. aluminium bronze. Bronzes are a good bet in general, see how well they can keep when stored in often ■■■■■ soil, or even on the sea bottom, over millenia.

Only for containing djinn.

1 Like

What the hell are you people talking about? You have two options:

• JB Weld and a lot of it
  • bury it in butter in an acidic bog

everyone knows this!!!

1 Like

Or take a can, fill it with molten asphalt, and simulate a miniature tar pit for whatever you want to keep.

1 Like

I’m going to go and do that with some bugs now. Thanks for the great idea! Bug fossils.

1 Like

Here I’d suggest to use a transparent resin. Maybe with assistance of vacuum to get rid of bubbles.

Yay for amber!

1 Like

…or you could write code for a system that will be likely running for a couple decades. Now that will be a way to make some fossilized bugs!

1 Like

Yeah, or I could just download the latest Java binary.

1 Like

1 Like

Thought about this too. (The show runs on my local TV, and I caught bits and pieces.) But preservation at this scale could get quite expensive, given the needed volume and the cost per pound.

…on the other hand, with a good DIY biomass reprocessing rig, and some finely chosen catalysts for the Fischer-Tropsch step, the cost of the resin could be driven quite low…

1 Like