Man charged with child endangerment after son skips church to play

10 Likes

Ha! funny and sad.

I’m scratching my head on this one. Umm my Mom & Dad let me play in the canyon next to my neighborhood when I was eight. Heck I would be out outside all over the neighborhood growing up. When did the world begin thinking that kids can’t play outside by themselves are with other friends? Heck I rode my bike a mile away to the store when my Mom needed me to go buy milk because we ran out.

5 Likes

We just never got to see the follow-up painting where a gangly dad is sprawled face first over the hood of a police cruiser with the sort of amusingly bemused look on his face that only Norman Rockwell can portray.

10 Likes

Why wouldn’t the church call the child’s parent(s) first? Especially if the siblings, who were at the church, admitted he played hooky?

3 Likes

You know all those things going around about how “I grew up like this and parents these days won’t let their kids do anything!” It’s probably because when you let your kids do things you did the police get called, you get arrested, charged with child endangerment, and eventually fired.

So if you see three parents around three kids on the local playground, it’s because none of them want to lose their careers because other people are all “what about the children?!”

2 Likes

That’s why parents who are concerned about sexual predators always make sure their children get in the van with a clergy member.

13 Likes

ISWYDT.

(Body is invalid; try to be a little more descriptive.)

Why do people always assume that making a statement about something, or a suggestion about something, means they think it’s “okay”? (My other “favorite” is when something is mentioned or observed, and you get a “And you’re surprised by this WHY?!” as a response, as if merely talking about something equals surprise.)

“Thanks sheep!”

This is ironic and quite amusing considering it’s YOU who is not utilizing your critical thinking skills. Wowza.

I would say that helicopter parenting leads to this.

No, it works the other way. People will call the cops if you send your kid out alone. People will call the cops if they see your kid in the car. People don’t talk to you, they call CSS.

Therefore, you can’t take the chance on sending your kid out alone.

Let’s face it - nobody needs to be supervised 100% of the time. Children need to make decisions for themselves. I’ll bet a large proportion of those reading this will have “run away” from home for varying lengths of time, however we all chose to be unsupervised as individuals whatever our age. And there is no god to protect you so it is what it is.

Now, if you choose to supervise an automobile or a handgun, then in that case I think it has to be 100%.

1 Like

Absolutely concur. And when the time comes that we allow our kids to go to the corner store unsupervised we will certainly let them. But as parents we are aware that there may be repercussions from nosy neighbors who try to scare us into keeping them supervised at all times.

In this guy’s case, it appears that fear has won the day and the locals are pressing charges.

2 Likes

Schoolteachers! I mean, really, what kind of sick fuck is willing to accept low pay and poor respect just for the chance to get near kids? Horrible perverts, every one. Throw 'em all in prison, I say.

Or, you know, we could stop and use our brains for a moment before making knee-jerk accusations against a broad group of people. But where’s the fun in that, really?

1 Like

Just keep them in a box.

Are you kidding me? Where have you been for the last 20 years?

Yes, you’re right, what you said is absolutely true.
What I’m talking about is how things got this way, because it wasn’t always this way.

It seems to me, that only helicopter parents would call the cops when they see a kid without a personal satellite, and parents that do not hover around their kids, well, wouldn’t.

This will of course make more parents into helicopter parents as strugglingwriter suggests, but its not the reason helicopter parents exist in the first place, and if cops stopped responding to these calls (yeah right!) you would still have helicopter parents around.

1 Like

Careful, there. A gun nut might demand to know why his 2nd amendment rights are being trampled on, just because he wants to let his gun cross the street unsupervised.

(We now live in a society where people are more arbitrary and neurotic about children than guns. How did this happen?)

If the town is dangerous enough that ‘running around your neighborhood while 8’ is endangerment, the cops should probably be focusing on other areas of their work a bit harder…

1 Like

When you skip church, you play with Satan.

4 Likes