Map of local word for "beer" in each European country

Cervisiam? Why use the accusative?

The Chinese seem to be matching their neighbors in Russia. The Chinese word is ā€œpijoā€. The Japanese word is more Western European: ā€œbiiruā€.

Because thatā€™s what Google translate suggested, thatā€™s all. What should it be?

Maybe all my Finnish friends are ex-Soviet hipsters but everyone Iā€™ve met over there calls beer ā€œpivoā€.

Cool I live and learn. ^_^. (Maybe Iā€™m getting confused and thought of the difference between larger and ale, though I may be corrected)

Generally speaking I see people use the term ale as much in the North as they do the South.

So it does! Thatā€™s odd. Or well, maybe not: In languages that have cases, the accusative is used way more often than the nominative: apparently you are more likely to say ā€œI like beerā€ (where ā€œbeerā€ is the object, hence accusative case) than ā€œBeer is niceā€ (where ā€œbeerā€ is the subject, i.e., nominative case). If you just want to quote a word, however, you always use the nominative, which for ā€œbeerā€ is cervisia.

Like my teacher says, Hungarian isnā€™t really the sort of language you should be making concessions of word origin that quickly. In the case of ā€˜sƶrā€™, the Old Hungarian term for beer is ā€˜serā€™ or ā€˜seritalā€™ (a drink of ā€˜serā€™). Now, you might think this comes from the Celtic word for ā€˜cerevisÄ­aā€™, because the Latin word comes from there too. Like this blog entry mentions, itā€™s a classical mistake, and if you have to take a guess, it seems to share its roots among Turkic languages like Kazakh, where beer is called ā€œsiraā€.

1 Like

As obvious as it may seem, I hadnā€™t recalled that Google Translate had audio. duh. Thanks!

Donā€™t forget the real Swiss language ā€“ Romansch! Unfortunately for such a small language the various dialects canā€™t agree on what to call beer ā€“ gervosa, biera, or pier.

1 Like

Thatā€™s how itā€™s pronounced in English on Tyneside.

Interestingly, again with the Tyneside, ā€˜peeveā€™ is a local slang word for booze (esp. south Tyneside).

Nou nā€™est janmais trop viĆØrs pouor apprendre.

The gaelic word for drink is ā€˜Ć³lā€™ which suggests some relation to the Norse wordā€¦

There is the Irish term ā€˜leannā€™ which usually means ā€˜aleā€™ and sometimes ā€˜beerā€™, while ā€˜leann dubhā€™ means porter/stout. Iā€™m not entirely certain of beer types but Iā€™m guessing that ā€˜leannā€™ was beer for those in Ireland as lager and other types werenā€™t used.

I donā€™t think Chinese borrows from Russian. Pijo or pijiu is based on the character jiu, which means alcoholic beverage (as in huangjiu and baijiu).

The local word in Ireland for beer is ā€œbeerā€

Based on the last census in 2011 only 1.68% (77,185 out of 4,581,268) of the population speak Irish daily so if you asked someone in Ireland for a beoir the odds are overwhelming that they would not have any idea what you are on about.

Thereā€™s also the fact that in certain areas of the country beoir is slang for a young woman.

As such it would really not be the best policy to ask where to find a beoir next time you visit Ireland.

1 Like

I see that you have added the Yiddish word as well. However, it is spelled backwards (×Øיב). Like Hebrew, Yiddish is written from right to left, so it should read בי×Ø.

Yeah lower case ā€œLā€ but wth ^^
ā€¦ Anyway ā€œĆ¶/Ćøā€ is USUALLY (it changes) pronounced like the ā€œe-partā€ of the english word ā€œnerdā€ but little more throaty (depending on your accent of english).

For the Hungarian word ā€˜sƶrā€™ the Turkic guess is already a nice try, but itā€™s origin remains unknown. It appears in a similar way in the related languages Komi and Udmurt, but it still doesnā€™t make it a Uralic word. Source: http://www.nyest.hu/hirek/honnan-jon-a-sor

Thank you. Fixing now.