Math puzzler: can you make a rectangle with one cut?

[Permalink]

1 Like

wait, whatā€™s wrong with just cutting it horizontally through the middle?

25 Likes

Thatā€™s what I came up with too.

3 Likes

Havenā€™t watched the video, but donā€™t these work? (shoddy MS Paint work notwithstanding)

and

14 Likes

I cut off the whole left side, rotated it 90 degrees, and sat it on top. Also a rectangle. (edit: @daneel had not posted when I wrote it!!)

Tangrams are where it is at

3 Likes

Itā€™s interesting that there are at least three solutions. I chose a different one from the author of the video. Yet this fact was not addressed.

I agree. This ā€œpuzzleā€ looks incredibly simple.

I get the impression that thereā€™s an unstated assumption in the original problem. While it challenges you to ā€œcut the shape into two pieces, using all the area, that can form a rectangleā€, what they actually appear to mean is ā€œcut the shape into two pieces, using all the area, that can form a rectangle [without rotating the resultant pieces]ā€

(Though daneelā€™s second solution still appears to work even then.)

I am beginning to think we are not the target audienceā€¦

15 Likes

Very annoying. Whether these ā€œsolutionsā€ work or not depends on the relative edge sizesā€¦ and the author doesnā€™t supply those sizes.

3 Likes

This puzzle needed a Facebook-like ā€œ93% canā€™t do it!ā€ sub-headline.

11 Likes

I do not see any math.

4 Likes

Okay, Iā€™m going to be the jerk and just say it: that was stupidly easy.

3 Likes

yeah, I came up with a different solution, and I donā€™t think I would have come up with their solution because of the BB headline including ā€œone cutā€ which I took to mean one straight cutā€¦

6 Likes

That was my feeling. I saw both of @daneelā€™s solutions, but I was pretty sure that whatever answer I came up with it would be disallowed because I wasnā€™t doing the kind of ā€œlateral thinkingā€ that the puzzle-maker wanted me to.

3 Likes

Stupid-easy is right. I was so sure that the first solution I thought of (which everyone else also got) was way too obvious to be the right one, so I spent a lot of time overthinking it.
Then it just turns out to be something that he probably copied from the back of Highlights Magazine.

5 Likes

I, too, thought it was easy-peasy. But, racked with self doubt, I rushed to the Polygon Outlet and bought a fresh new rectangle, just to be safe.

4 Likes

Is it still buy 12 polygons and get the 13th for just one quatloo?

3 Likes

For newcomers, yes.

Jerkā€¦

1 Like