Medley of "100 Amazing Bass Lines")

[Permalink]

Wild, Wild World of Animals - orig. end theme by Beatrice Witkin & Gerhard Trede

1 Like

I know “amazing” and “iconic” are subjective, and maybe I should be more familiar with the music of Jamiroquai, but I kept waiting for the Peter Gunn theme and My City was Gone by the Pretenders.

3 Likes

1 Like

So bass! Very tempo! Up!

Nice to see the Chilis totally overrepresented. Yay! But I was also surprised he left out Silly Love Songs - one of the most complex and well-known bass lines ever.

2 Likes

Primus - “My Name Is Mud”
Motley Crue - “Looks That Kill” and “Dr. Feelgood”

1 Like

very impressive!

I don’t want to detract from what he has accomplished, but surely one of the RHCP or Jamiroquai songs could’ve been nixed to make room for this most glaring omission:

@wmrtaylor2000 the inclusion of only one Primus song is odd, I agree. your pick is their most iconic, IMO.

Deceptively simple, definitely iconic…

A list that is primarily RHCP, and nothing pre-Mother’s Milk from my recollection???

Also, I prefer my bass to be more like a 4-stringed guitar and less a funk/blues/rhythm machine:

My favourite’s quite possibly Fishbone’s “Bonin’ in the Boneyard” which is conspicuous by its absence here.
A wild bassline at the best of times, possibly the best, fastest performance of it can be seen here:

Funky assed bass to be sure.

2 Likes

One Primus song, and it wasn’t this one? Maybe he just couldn’t play it…

Hell, number six is Stevie Wonder, not RHCP…

wasn’t the bass on the Stevie version a moog? If so, then I think the “RHCP” label would be more accurate.

And Under Pressure became Ice Ice Baby… really?
Although:

2 Likes

I would have assumed The Cure - Fascination Street would have been on the list. Otherwise, I enjoyed video.

1 Like

No Norman Watt-Roy either. :frowning:

I cannot imagine a “top 100” without a single entry from Entwhistle or from the Allman Brothers. This guy’s got some larnin’ to do. And I could swear I heard “Pressure” in there labelled as something else.

BTW, I think he should have put “In a Gadda da Vida” next to " Sunshine of My Life" , since they’re almost inversions of each other.

1 Like

similarly, “Superfreak” by Rick James was credited as MC Hammer “Can’t Touch This”

damned kids.

I heard one near the beginning. It was “True Men Don’t Kill Coyotes,” or maybe “Fight like a Brave.” I quit following them after Blood Sugar Sex Magic, so I didn’t even recognize half the others.

damned kids.

2 Likes