Meet the 17th century's answer to Tesla

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Every generation has people like this, and there is invariably a lynch mob hot on his heels. Read Aristotle as he ridicules the lost works of people who were proposing modern concepts atomic theory, probability, and genetics in 250 BC, but Aristotle insists on a sort of intelligent design concept of the world. If it wasn’t for the natural lynch mob mentality of people, we probably would have landed on Mars some time around 500 AD.

5 Likes

Krieger?

1 Like

Mercury … in an oven … for food.
What a good idea.

1 Like

Actually, it was more meant as an egg incubator/alchemical machine for making lead into gold.

And hey, it was the 1600s, Safety standards weren’t really a thing yet… Hell, lead-based makeup was still in fashion back then.

1 Like

I wonder if he was in any way an inspiration for Dr. Cornelius.

Edit to note that he is highly unlikely to be an inspiration for Dr. Cuthbert Calculus, who is in the picture and has nothing whatever to do with the topic at hand (except the synapses are apparently colocated in my brain somehow).

1 Like

I do not see how somebody famous in the 1620s could inspire a play written in 1610… Egad! Time travel!

What language is he Dr. Cornelius in? His name is Cuthbert Calculus in English, and Tryphon Tournesol in the original French.

1 Like

Apparently he is only Dr. Cornelius in the language of my deeply flawed memory, since I just checked a couple of my kid’s books and he is Cuthbert Calculus. Funny that I would remember the character, some of the rough plotlines he was involved in, but completely graft the name on from somewhere else.

Nothing to see here, move along.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.