Meet the judge who suspended a child rapist's sentence because his victim was "older than her chronological age"

[Permalink]

Say what?

Well heck ,the judge and rapist have a hunting vacation planned for late October. No reason for everyoneā€™s life to be wrecked. Is there?

This story makes me too upset to speak coherently. Frankly, it makes me too upset to function. Hits way close to home. Itā€™s hard to want to stay alive some times. It really really is.

6 Likes

Well, you canā€™t fill up the jails with rapists when you need the room for 20-year sentences for possession of pot.

18 Likes

According to the judge he reviewed things the girl had said and concluded she was a ā€œtroubled youthā€ who was "ā€œas much in control of the situationā€ as her rapist.

I realize judges have to make very difficult decisions sometimes, but there are people who have expertise in areas such as this. Since it appears the judge made the decision without consulting any of those people, and without having any background that would give him insight into what a ā€œtroubled youthā€ is really like, his decision is criminal. And, yes, I am judging the judge here, but Iā€™ve made a little bit of effort to do some research to back up the allegations Iā€™m making. And if I were really in a position to strip him of his right to practice law or even to sentence him to jail Iā€™d want to make sure I reviewed all available information thoroughly and objectively. I wouldnā€™t follow the judgeā€™s example.

8 Likes

Good thing he wasnā€™t black.

In one case we have a 54 year old teacher raping a 14 year old student. In another case we have a 17 year old senior having consensual sex with a 15 year old classmate. One gets 10 years in prison and the other gets a month. Guess which is which?

20 Likes

You forgot the parts where the 30 days was technically for a violation of his deferred prosecution, not the actual rapeā€¦as those charges were dropped.

Or the part where he was her teacher and thus they had some type of sexual relationship. (Not that that situation makes any of it less serious, but I think it puts perspective on how it all started. Frankly he needs to be castrated with some serious jail time.)

3 Likes

We had a similar case to this in the UK recently and, as then, it is appalling to see clearly guilty men being given lenient sentences. In my opinion, I think the judges who make such judgements should be investigated as that line of thought is generally only held by those who need to justify their own thoughts and actions.

1 Like

So at the very least he violated his position of trust and had sex with a minor.

There must be more to thisā€¦ I hope that someone is investigating this ā€˜judgeā€™.

1 Like

I am not a lawyer, but I have grave doubts about this judgeā€™s grasp of the law.

I thought the whole point of having an age of majority was to draw a clear line, so that individual biases about the victimā€™s maturity couldnā€™t be taken as material. If they were, potential abusers would have an incentive, conscious or not, to overestimate the maturity of their victims. Better that some precocious 14-year-olds have to wait a few years than allow an abuser to muddy the legal water with subjective arguments about the victimā€™s maturity.

5 Likes

Is this true? (One of the links timed out repeatedly for me, so I couldnā€™t read all the articles.)

If it is - that sounds like grounds for a prosecutorial appeal.

No.

It was consensual sex, so I think we need to preface the rape term with statutory. He did a bad thing, but calling it simply rape is changing what happened.

6 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s all he did. ā€œSex with a minorā€ in the U.S. is ā€œstatutory rapeā€. Personally I think that ā€œstatutoryā€ word should always be included when calling this rape, since its a lot different than raping someone who isnā€™t giving consent, even if you argue that a 14 year old canā€™t give meaningful consent.

3 Likes

Same here in the UK. I was kind of getting at the fact that even if the judge thinks that consent was given (which isnā€™t legally possible if youā€™re under the age of consent), she was still underage. So even if he wants to sidestep part of the law, thereā€™s still the rest of it to contend with. My point is flimsy I think, but it made sense in my head.

But he seems to have managed to reconcile this just fine anyway. Apparently she was troubled and up-for-it, as well as looking old for her age. Precedent now states thatā€™s fair game inā€¦ what is this, Utah Iā€™m guessing?

In the LA Times story, it indicates that while he had only plead guilty to a single count of rape, she had accused him (or confided in her minister) that he had assaulted her on three separate occasions.

So the guy isnā€™t just getting soft-served a 15 year sentence, heā€™s getting away scott-free for two other incidences that werenā€™t even on the books. :frowning:

2 Likes

According to one of the articles there is ā€œan exception in state law that gives the judge latitude on sentencing in cases of sex with minorsā€.

Iā€™m sure this exception was written with good intentions, but it sounds like here itā€™s been misapplied.

1 Like

The information-industrial complex often paint things in black and white terms: itā€™s easier, and a wider selection of people will be interested in a story depicted this way. But while I agree that the statement ā€œshe committed suicide after her rapeā€ is playing a little fast and loose with the facts in order to procure my outrage, this speculation about the girlā€™s character is just victim-blaming.

Fourteen year old girls arenā€™t completely devoid of free will, but assuming she went into the relationship willingly moves the onus from the assaulter to the victim. It would be better to say ā€œabusers seek out emotionally vulnerable targets, because theyā€™re less likely to tellā€, which is consistent with how other abusers have behaved.

8 Likes

sarcasm:
Because a judge who has been on the bench since the 80s has no experience with humanity and has never met a troubled youth before.

Iā€™ll admit that his decision doesnā€™t sit right with me, but I thought he explained his rationale well enough.