Microsoft call center worker fired for hanging up on a neo-nazi

You have an oddly broad view of human rights. We have a legal right to discriminate for many reasons aside from a few protected classes, of which neo-nazi beliefs are not one.

The right to public education for children is one, if that’s what you were referring to with “teach English” but no commercial service is a human right and the vast majority aren’t legal rights. Yes, we CAN pick who we as individuals help, serve or work with in many ways.

3 Likes

Did you guys even read the part where I SAID IT WASN’T A CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUE? The civil rights issue is a moot point anyhow since she clearly acted like an irresponsible employee. Fly your flag of self righteousness if you want, they did the right thing.

1 Like

Then what sort of right is XBox support? And if it isn’t a right, why is it a problem if someone is denied it?

Some people will be denied some things because of the way they act. I don’t have a problem with that if the way they act is terrible. I’m not exactly sure what your problem with it is.

1 Like

I have no problem, everything went according to plan here. A bad employee got fired for acting against policy. EDIT: I take that back, my problem is that BB finds this newsworthy. Maybe I should just filter out Mark’s posts since I’m never interested in anything he has to say.

3 Likes

Is this a Friend of Friend Story?

1 Like

While I agree that her handling of this may have been unprofessional, I can’t help but feel that people saying that she deserved to be fired over it are being extreme. Reprimanded? Possibly. But fired? That’s a bit ridiculous for such a momentary lapse.

Surviving these days is hard enough, it’s not like jobs are easy to find, and people fuck up sometimes. People are human, and as other people we need to appreciate that.

4 Likes

Thank you, my comments were pretty reactionary. Yes she probably doesn’t deserve to be fired but reprimanded/retrained. I still stand by my statement that this is not news and doesn’t really need to be talked about so much.

3 Likes

I’ve worked in call centres; dealing with shitty people is part of the job and constantly, constantly considered in all training material, code of conduct etc etc etc. Because there are idiots, out there. Lots of them. Nazis, racists, frustrated luddites, honest people who simply like to abuse call-centre workers to let off some steam, and so on. If you can’t stand idiots, customer service is not your job. Customer service is about acting, being a courteous liar, and, in some cases, actually solving problems.

In a few months she’ll be glad she got fired from a job that clearly wasn’t for her.

2 Likes

Stream is ass. Used to be pretty cool; MtG comps on lunch break, Quake server, Nerf warfare between cubicles (and not just on graveyard shifts). Then one day it all went to shit. On of the worst things was how they staffed a lot of teams with temp-to-hire and never actually hired anyone.

There was a Stream call centre in the same city I worked in and the horror stories we heard out of there…ugh. The call centre I was at was local and most contracts seemed to actually be about solving problems (when I started there at least). We’d get people who worked there previously and the amount of monitoring they would do over everything was insane.

I used to work in a call centre. It wasn’t bad work all in all (although this was in the UK where we have employment law and shit).

If you hang up on customers, you get fired. End of. Guess what - the “Nazi” (substitute "the guy with the assholey gamter tag) ALSO PAYS YOUR WAGES WITH HIS XBOX MONEY. That’s what happens in the real world - people do and say stuff you don’t like.

3 Likes

Unlikely. Everyone else on the comments page seemed familiar with the term, and had a different gut reaction. Jews don’t classically connect Jewish pride to membership in the SS. It’s more common as a pejorative then an expression of pride, don’t believe everything you read on the internet. Look at the other definitions on the urban dictionary if you need other reference points.

3 Likes

Sorry, what is unlikely? I wasn’t arguing the guy wasn’t a racist. Its not like I thought he was some hebrew hunter of ss officers because in the linked in article he openly admits to it being racist and intentionally making choices he knows are against their guidelines for acceptable usernames, so that fact is pretty much a given.

Like I said not being familiar with the term at all I found it interesting that heeb was defined as a positive version of the slur hebe and yet was also a part of the obviously intentionally racist username they had chosen. i merely found that definitions contradiction and the delineation between hebe and heeb interesting in the context of his choice. that’s all. previous to this article i’d never heard that term used wither way.

The N-word has been reclaimed as an empowering term by some black folks, particularly some of those involved in hip-hop culture. This doesn’t mean that “n----rhunter” would be a “strange choice” for a racist to use in their gamer tag. Likewise “HeebHunterSS” isn’t a “strange choice” for an antisemite to have as a gamertag.

Okay, I’ve had enough of this bullshit.

When it comes to this story, I’m kind of on the fence, leaning towards “she could have handled it better.”

But it really annoys me when People On the Internets say things like, “We don’t have the information… We don’t know both sides!” Then promptly jump in with both feet to say, “Despite my statements about our lack of information, I will now proceed to make conjecture that has even less supporting testimony/information.”

7 Likes

It’s considered professional to:

Be Quiet!
not question contradictory authoritative orders.
ask permission and log the times taken for breaks.
not distract your colleagues from their work.
not use company equipment for anything other than it’s intended use (browse the internet).
wear uncomfortable clothes and shoes.

1 Like

Fair enough, I misunderstood your meaning. My guess is that outside hipster circles, the average Jew is not aware of the difference between heeb and hebe, and views both as derogatory. Similar word is queer, which has been claimed as an identity, but if found in the wild it’s not inherently associated with positive connotations.

Yes, without emotional attachment. Of course.

When bullied, if you dare react, you had it coming. Uh huh.

2 Likes

IMNSHO, if someone chooses to represent to the world at large the wholesale torture and slaughter of an ethnicity and celebrate the historic event of such torture and slaughter, they do not deserve “customer service”, and no-one should be required, as part and parcel of their employment, to have to be exposed to, nor participate in, that person’s celebration of the wholesale torture and slaughter of a people. That employee was absolutely in the right to hang up on that person. There is no “please hold while I get you to a supervisor” —

Would there /even/ be a discussion if the handle was “RapingBlacksIsFun”? “AllWomenGuzzleMyCock”? “TrayvonDeservedIt?” “CrucifyFags”? No. There would not.
Fuck Microsoft and fuck the call center that made exposure to this hate a condition of this person’s employment.

5 Likes

I really think that there would be and that the discussion would be almost exactly the same.

3 Likes