Microsoft call center worker fired for hanging up on a neo-nazi

Or see the other reply for the less finger pointy reality.

This information comes from a “Friend of Friend” hummmmm.

Did they microwave their poodle too?

You clearly haven’t worked in the service sector before, if you work in retail/at a call center/in healthcare you are an idiot if you think its OK for you to refuse service to someone because you are offended by them. Everyone can be offended by something, or someone.

Maybe I feel the same way about Republican’s or mimes or furries or gay people? Where do you draw the line? Being offended isn’t a good enough reason to deny someone service, even if they are being a dick/bad person.

1 Like

Hey douche, here’s a wake-up call: Some of us value our ethics more than a shitty job in a call center dealing with assholes. In Halo you just own them and teabag their corpse. In meatspace you hang up on them. Yes they are horrible people and yes it does mean they deserve bad service. Really they deserve a bullet to the temple or a beating with a rusty metal pole but since that can’t be delivered over the phone, hanging up on them is a reasonable alternative.

I worked in an outbound opinion poll call center once… Some asshole swore and hung up on me despite my impeccably polite demeanor. My solution? Prank call the motherfucker every 20 minutes until the end of my shift.

2 Likes

Why not? Why are assholes automatically entitled to any commercial service they wish to engage in no matter how they treat people? It isn’t a legal right. There is no law forcing me to serve a neo-nazi or even someone who likes the wrong version of Star Trek (unless I’m working for the government). I can legally refuse to provide service for any reason I like outside of a few protected classes.

Are you making a moral argument? In what moral system are commercial services a moral right? From what moral axiom do you derive that? We live in a society of social consequences. If you act like a dick people will not want to come to your birthday party and they won’t want to do business with you. No one is morally obligated to do either of those things. Unless it’s a service they’ll die without (which we’re not looking at here)

You must come up with a reason someone is obligated to serve an asshole.

I assume it was all the Nazis who fill their redneck chariots up at his gas stand who told him.

The call centre industry is a horrible, soul-crushing, worker-abusing, shitty piece-of-shit industry. I got out of that around 2004, and even then the evil fascist overlords that were in charge could listen in on your calls at any time. They could listen live, they could listen afterwards. They probably yelled at the people in charge of the call centre software because they couldn’t figure out how to listen before a call. They could see when you hung up instead of the customer. They could see all kinds of statistics about your calls and they had a million contradictory policies to follow. A caller with a racist username that you don’t even bother to try to look up in the customer database is not going to be considered a valid reason to hang up on a caller.

I agree that customer service and technical support people shouldn’t have to deal with racist pricks. But employment laws are bullshit and a racist username is nothing compared to the abuse a frustrated customer will hurl at you because they had to wait on hold for 3 minutes. And when they call in that their website is down and they’re losing thousands of dollars every minute, you’re not going to get an apology when it turns out that their internet access is down entirely. You’ll be lucky if they don’t yell at you for that.

1 Like

If you are as angry as I am you will contact the company directly to lodge your disapproval.

Stream Global Services
3285 Northwood Circle
Eagan, MN 55121

Contact Form: http://www.stream.com/about-us/contact-us.aspx

Not sure if these are right, but they don’t bounce.
Chairman & CEO:
kathryn.marinello@stream.com
VP, global human resources:
barbara.weyl@stream.com

Then don’t work in the service sector, but if you do you HAVE to deal with people you don’t like or might be offended by. That is just the reality of the situation. Also, did you really advocate assault/murder for people who offend you? Seriously? Go ahead though, call me a douche and feel like you have the moral high ground and are free to treat people you don’t like/don’t agree with shitty. Guess what though, that just makes you another asshole and I know how much you like assholes.

I don’t work in that industry… it sucks. But if I did I’d still treat this guy and anyone else I didn’t like rudely. It didn’t get me fired. When I worked in a big box hardware store and noticed that a customer had left their dog locked in a hot car with the windows up I said over the PA system “would the terrible person who has locked their dog in the white so-and-so with licence plate ‘XXX-111’ return to their car immediately”. Not everyone asks ‘how high?’ when told to jump. Sad that there’s people like you who think that any behaviour and opinion is acceptable. How about someone with the gamertag ‘infant-intercourse’? Is that acceptable for you too? I mean, it’s just freedom of expression, right?

And no, guy. Nice strawman. I am abusive and unpleasant to people who offend me, but will happily advocate assault & murder against people who advocate assault & murder of others based on race or belief. I will call you a douche (hey, it’s what most of us are thinking based on the replies to your comment) and I will also call you out on writing nonsensical gibberish. What does “treat people … with shitty” even mean? We’ll let the Boingers decide who’s an asshole based on supporting/opposing replies . So far you’re behind, asshole.

Clearly I meant “treat people shitty” or “treat people like shit”, clearly you never make a mistake and always have the moral high ground eh? All I’m saying is that there is a better way to go about it than being an asshole because you don’t like someone/are offended by them. This person could of transferred the call to their supervisor for example, instead he hung up on the caller. You though seem to believe you have the right to be an asshole just because you disagree with someone/they made a mistake/or don’t like them.

You though seem to believe you have the right to be an asshole just because…

Um… yes, I do have that right. You also have the right not to like it. You should think with more clarity before you declare what rights I supposedly don’t have. Your “better way” treats a person with deplorable beliefs with respect they do not deserve. I obviously don’t care what you say bud… as I already said: let’s let the boingers decide.

PS: I do make mistakes, which is what proofreading is for.

Do republicans voice support for the lynching of democrats?** do mimes hold rallies in support of mime power? Do furries campaign for the extermination of non-furries? Do gay people spread hatred about heterosexuals? Can any of your talking points stand without huge false equivalencies?

**question not applicable in Southern states.

Being offended is PLENTY good reason enough to deny service. It’s within the legal right of any company to refuse service (unless it’s on grounds of race, sex or disability) to anyone. How many people in this thread have to explain this to you before you get it?

2 Likes

Yeah, I know this, I state as much in my very next comment. There is nothing in my first statement to the contrary or condoning his choice or implying it means anything other then what it is, I simply observe as someone who is unfamiliar with the term, I found it interesting that he used heeb instead of the slur hebe. Obviously he was intending it to be a racial slur and says as much in the linked in article, that much is a given and obvious to anyone who read the linked material. I say as much and more in the following comment thread and nothing I said would indicate that I though any differently, people tend to inject their own assumptions into anything alas. sighs So yes we agree, I was merely suggesting you reread so you’d see that I don’t actually make any of the assumptions you are countering, that is all.

[quote=“redesigned, post:77, topic:4638”]
I found it interesting that he used heeb instead of the slur hebe
[/quote]“I found it interesting that he used heeb instead of the slur hebe”

I’ve never heard of the slur “hebe”. It’s “heeb” as I’ve ever heard it very commonly used by bigots in the US.

Apparently they are pronounced almost identically, so you wouldn’t hear the difference you’d only really notice in print. But like I admit, I am not familiar with nor have I been around people familiar with this slur despite the Jewish half of my family. I’ve never heard it used before this article was my first exposure to the term, which is why i had to look it up. Thank goodness I have not had to be around that sort of bigotry, i will consider that a good thing. Where do you live that is is used very commonly?

The Internet, primarily.“Heard” is probably more accurately “spelled”, as they do sound the same :stuck_out_tongue:

People shouldn’t put up with bigots, at all, and a self-declared Nazi is worse than a bigot. Hanging up on a self-declared Nazi is an exceedingly moderate response.

1 Like

I worked at a Speedway for a year while trying to find real work after college. I once told a customer to get out and not come back because she called a co-worker a n****r. Didn’t get in trouble. Try harder, troll.

2 Likes