Mind-controlling parasites (and the parasites that infect them)

[Permalink]

I’m so meta you can’t even handle it.

3 Likes

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”, Juvenal

I was expecting an article about Roger Ailes.

Sadly I can’t supply a link, but there was a TED talk on this subject that ws really really entertaining.

I first heard of these things in Resident Evil 4, which actually contained references to some real-world mind-control parasites—Dicrocoelium dendriticum in particular were really fascinating/freaky as fuck. Their lifecycle is almost Rube Goldbergian.

Nobody is really free.

2 Likes

The virus in the wasp isn’t parasitic - it’s symbiotic. Unless I missed where it said anything about the virus harming the wasp in any way?

5 Likes

Big fleas have little fleas,
Upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas,
and so, ad infinitum.

14 Likes

The big fleas themselves in turn
have greater fleas to go on;
the greater fleas have greater still,
and greater still,
and so on.

6 Likes

And that Harper government… oh wait wrong thread

1 Like

4 Likes

My god, Jim! Look at these people! We have to get those things off of them!

3 Likes

There’s been suggestions in the last couple of years that humans aren’t immune to being controlled by bacteria/viruses. Just focusing on gut bacteria, some experts suspect that they can control eating behavior in people. Which i think is plausible depending on some instances. Makes me wonder how much control we really have of ourselves.

2 Likes

The viral genes are part of the wasp chromosome,

Even in the field of computers, I encountered worms infected with viruses.

1 Like

I hear that. I consider myself not so much a thing as rather a sort of network.

1 Like

It has been long suspected that “Cat Lady Syndrom” is T. gondii controlling human behavior.

Liver flukes affect the behavior of any host they’re known to infect, from ants to cows, to humans.

It would stand to reason since 9/10th of the cells in our bodies are not our own (bacteria, yeasts, fungi, etc.) and only 1/10th contain our DNA, that indeed we are a complex organism who’s behaviors are in some portion dictated by the larger community of organisms that make us up.

3 Likes

Oh, we are discussing bugs. For a moment there I that this was about the Koch brothers and tea party movement.

7 Likes

Made me o_0 when I read about them.

1 Like