Molasses spill in Hawaii destroys ocean habitats, draws sharks to area where humans surf and swim

[Permalink]

1 Like

We were snorkeling in Hawaii a couple years ago, and those reefs are lava and basalt with a little layer of coral. The water is clear because there isnā€™t many nutrients in the mid ocean.

1 Like

Just because someone has to cite it:

Donā€™t get misled by the fact that itā€™s "only " molasses. Itā€™s still a large industrial spill.

5 Likes

Beat me to itā€¦

I want a better word than ā€œleakā€ or ā€œspillā€ how about flood? Broken pipeline?
So who wants to bet this pipeline hasnā€™t been inspected in years, that it was grandfathered in? That what looks like a accident is actually the lastest example of deferred maintaince, regulatory capture or out and out graft?

Why choose just one? :slight_smile:

ā€œSo many fish have died that the Hawaii Department of Health has tripled cleanup crews to three boats.ā€

Wow.

1 Like

I live just outside where this spill occurred. The shipping company Matson is basically the ā€œMonsanto of the seaā€. It is sad they own all shipping into/out of Hawaii. Now we get to thank them for killing fish.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had a fear for a long while that if I donā€™t get back to Hawaii to surf there again soon, industry may manage to destroy everything in the meantime to make it virtually impossible to surf or at least make it extremely unpleasant to try it. News like this only confirms those fears. Fuck it, I need to get in more money and GTFO there and experience it again before they ruin it once and for all. Maybe also stick my nose in the local politics as well and see what can be done. Fuck this.

1 Like

mmmā€¦molasses brined mahi mahi, delicious.

You can spend your whole life working to protect something like this only to see it all undone in one dumb accident.

Rotting mahi mahi

1 Like

Deluge would be my choice

Molasses ainā€™t nuthing to fuck with.

Yeah, I was going to mention that, being a local. Boston Sticky! F&^% Yeah! ā€¦ or something like that.

Unrelated, did the Hawaiian politicos really, really have to pull out the OMG SHARKS RUN ONEONEONE meme? I mean, really?

Itā€™s thier ā€˜THINK OF THE CHILDRENā€™

Ahh, the cleanup crew was specifically for the dead fish. I was totally confused, and presumed that it was 3 whole boats trying to clean up the molasses.

I still donā€™t get the shark fears though. Is it just because there are so many dead animals floating around, itā€™ll bring in more predators? I would have thought that all that rotting meat wouldnā€™t be particularly attractive to predators, but I donā€™t know how picky sharks are.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.