Molly Ringwald and her 10-year-old watch The Breakfast Club

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Anyone seen her cabaret act? I almost went but was unexpectedly broke when she was in my city.

I know that American kids grow up more sheltered in some ways, but am I the only one who thinks that she may be underestimating her daughter when it comes to getting the references to sex in the film? I have trouble imagining that. I have much less trouble imagining her going to great lengths not to talk about it to her parents.

Also, if you want to feel old, The Breakfast Club is now about as old as Rebel Without a Cause was at the time.

1 Like

Yeah, when I was that age I was pretty good at pretending I had no idea about anything sexual (what I did know was, granted, not all that complete or specific, but enough to get the basics of dirty jokes and movie references to losing virginity). I particularly remember one of my parents giving me an innocent explanation for what something dirty overheard in a movie meant, and me nodding and pretending I accepted it and then smirking to myself as soon as I was alone.

1 Like

she’s probably in denial. I was no older than twelve when I first saw TBC. I was certainly naive, but nothing in that film went completely over my head. but, it’s possible ten-year-old me might not have grasped all the nuances. In any case, sensitive children don’t like talking about taboo topics with adults, to say nothing of their parents, as it is a form of dissection. there is no upside; like talking politics in the workplace, except you aren’t on the equal footing of being a fellow adult. children that don’t mind that line of conversation are either unaware of the dynamic or insensitive enough to not care, or both.

that podcast was pretty cringe-y, but what I found interesting is that Ringwald’s voice and speech affectations, sighs, etc sound exactly like when she was in those Hughes films. I guess that shouldn’t be too shocking. Then again, my timeline is skewed because what I’m assuming to be her teenage voice–due to the roles she played–is more probably her twenties voice (and therefore more of her adult self) due to the likelihood of her actual age being different than her characters’. So, even if in retrospect I can explain it logically, it still surprised me quite a bit. Particularly without video that shows her age, it sounded like was like she was narrating directly from Shermer High’s library circa 1985.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.