My favorite battery-powered Bluetooth speaker is the Grain Audio PWS

[Permalink]

1 Like

Bluetooth is ok, but my ears prefer how the Goldtooth wireless protocol compensates for resonance impurities in the ambient air.

7 Likes

Goldtooth Standard

3 Likes

Love my A2 by B&O. Kinda pricey, but amazing sound.
What Bluetooth speakers did you eliminate before settling on the Grain Audio?

Mark, wouldnā€™t it be easier (and cheaper, and more effective) to have multiple bluetooth speakers that plug into wall outlets, instead of carrying this around with you? Just wondering.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a mark, but I play one on TV.

It sounds you do what I do - Iā€™ve several speaker/radio locations about the place, and at each thereā€™s a spare cable (RCA or minijack or whatever) hanging about.

For travel, Iā€™ve a decade-old Tivoli iPal, which, when not serving road duty, spends time charging and sounding off in the loo. The battery life has dimmed, I know I ought replace it.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œfunruly, post:6, topic:51636ā€]
It sounds you do what I do - Iā€™ve several speaker/radio locations about the place, and at each thereā€™s a spare cable (RCA or minijack or whatever) hanging about. [/quote]

Me too. Iā€™m a big fan of this cheap little awesome amp paired with whatever small speakers I find at the thriftshop:

3 Likes

We have a couple of Pasce Minirigs, which are just astounding. Iā€™ve used mine to fill a university lecture hall with puzzlingly good quality sound. The downside is that they (a) have no built-in bluetooth (so you need to buy an adapter for this functionality), and (b) they are hellaciously difficult to buy outside of England.

Am I the only one who thinks BLUETOOTH SUCKS because neither my phone nor my laptop EVER seem to connect automatically as they are supposed to? Iā€™m technically competent, yet I end up resetting the speaker and generally spending a few minutes nearly each time I want to connect the speaker, and end up ruining the moment and feeling generally exasperated like a 75 year old trying to program a VCR in the year 1987?

(And Iā€™ve got the ā€œbest bluetooth speakerā€ according to the Wirecutter, so I donā€™t think we can blame the hardware per se http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-speaker/ )

2 Likes

I hear this from a few people, but my Bluetooth audio in my car behaves flawlessly. I use an Android phone. Are you using Apple?

1 Like

I donā€™t see any details for hands free calling so should I assume this doesnā€™t have a microphone?

Are you using Apple products? Because they use a half-assed implementation of Bluetooth (at least on their phones) that just doesnā€™t work with a lot of things.

I know people have tons of problems with those Bluetooth ODBII readers where the standard answer for someone who wants to use one is ā€œspend $100 on a WiFi version or just buy a cheap Android phone that will work greatā€.

Yeah, $250 that you just leave at home seems like a lot. Get something that plugs in, at least, so you donā€™t have to pay for a big battery.

You can get a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers and a cheap amp for way better sound.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSCZFWKQYLPU--82-290-202--Product

1 Like

apple laptop, android phone. the apple laptop especially is really bad about connecting to the speaker.

The best bluetooth speaker Iā€™ve ever heard is the G Project GBoom and costs about $100-120 at Target or through Amazon.
I am a complete audio snob and was blown away by the sound of this little box. (There is enough bass that I sometimes play my bass guitar through it as a practice amp). Trust me or read the reviews.

Hereā€™s my take on portable speakers-- and frankly, Iā€™m done collecting them.

I like listening to podcasts. Iā€™d use a portable speaker to listen to podcasts, as both of my music stereos are non portable, and not always convenient to listen to in the kitchen. Now, there is a particular voice type, that I find reassuring from listening to NPR. Itā€™s deep. Itā€™s confident.

Hereā€™s Robert Siegel

Hereā€™s Bob Edwards

If your stereo can handle bass notes smoothly, and without distortion, those voices sound pretty good. If your speakers canā€™t reproduce the low end very well, they sound less clear. Maybe intelligible, but perhaps more fatiguing than usual.

So when I read about the latest ā€œbluetooth speakerā€, Iā€™m skeptical. Yet another speaker that bottoms out at 100 Hz. Yet another amplifier with 10% distortion. The next time you guys review this kind of thing, prove me wrong-- compare it to a real stereo.

My take on portable speakers is ā€˜have a hifi big enough so you can hear it everywhereā€™.

3 Likes

I am just going to throw in here that the Apple ā€œproblemā€ with Bluetooth is that they have plugged a giant security hole there that Android leaves open. I am just guessing, but someone has to do the work to undo the BS spewed about Apple. Most of the ā€œproblemsā€ with Apple come down to this, a difference in the approach to security. It is a choice. Make your choice and live with the consequences.

I have a pretty old Bose Sounddock, and bought an Auris bluetooth adapter for it. The dock is so old Iā€™d already had to buy an adapter to address the time Apple moved all the wires on the connector, so now theyā€™re stacked on top of each other.

Keeps me going for now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.