My top two gadgets from Wired's top ten gadgets of CES

The bulb is laser diode, so should be good for at least 20,000 hours.

Projection on a properly-prepared wall can be quite good, though with normal wall coatings and texture I think the very high resolution would be wasted.

I’m curious how they avoid extreme keystone, and assume that whatever they use for that is the reason the projector unit is so wide.

Yes, I figured it might be but I was hoping against that.

I don’t see how the PC “case” will work. Every time I try to upgrade I find that so many things have changed. My new GPU needs a new bus to get full speed. My new CPU needs a new type motherboard with a newer type of memory. Sure I can re-use the hard drives, maybe. But by the time I upgrade my PC I usually need more than double the space and it’s much nicer to swap in 1 or 2 double size drives than have the 2 old ones + 1 new one, etc…

The connectors and cases for the components are certainly new… the difference being will it be new like USB, or new like Thunderbolt? Both standards… one open for anyone to make a USB thing for… the other developed by Intel, bought by Apple, and make into a revenue stream built on $50 cables.

Thunderbolt actually is a good example for a standard allowing for multiple upgrades… since its a combination of a USB and pci-e bus. Thats more or less everything you plug computer components into a computer with… across one standard. And with plug and play… yeah the foundation for magic module A replaced with module B is there.

Agreed its lots of packaging. However… if people could actually just buy moar GPUs, rather than replacing the one or two GPUs over and over, then a desktop with 3-4 GPUs would be less wasteful overall… extending the useful life of components for longer.

Yeah… the 10 minutes with a screwdriver thing is completely true. Its easy to build a PC if you know how, and easy to find out how. This is certainly a product that seeks to capture the lucrative “more money than brains” market… but I think its the kind of innovation the PC market needs to start selling them again.

Not to mention tax evasion.

Sony did a modular PC back in the early 1980s. It consisted of gray plastic stacking modules to make for easy expansion and upgrading. It didn’t sell well.

At my house we’ve been using projectors for watching TV for about 10 years now. A ton of space is being saved by mounting a projector on the ceiling.
It turns out that the wall doesn’t even need to be completely flat or perfectly white. I’ll never go back to a “traditional” TV , I prefer a 10’ HD screen.

If you like to watch TV during the day with a lot of ambient light, then a projector may seem a bit dim but you certainly don’t need a darkroom for it to work well.

It’s an interesting answer to the problem keeping desktop PCs relevant and up to date in a world of ever-faster-expanding capabilities.

Yeah it’s so easy to upgrade my laptop, tablet, and cellphone. Get with it PC!

/joke

Also, what’s with the “ever-faster-expanding capabilities” bit? Didn’t you link us to a very fun piece to the contrary?

The modular design layout is awesome, but as long as we’re breaking a desktop out into parts, why keep it in the same rectangular form factor?

It’d be more inspiring if they were doing something other than just peeling off the outside of the a tower.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.