N is for the young and stupid, where n = array("love", "war", "software")

Dave, I’ve mentioned I’m white and male and that I’m 42 and been working for almost 20 years in this space if you actually read what I wrote. I acknowledge that I come from a space of privilege as a white guy who went to college (and even had it paid for by family) and who managed to become a paid tech worker during the first net boom, catching the wave at just the right time.

I find you to be an amazingly unpleasant and unuseful net personality so you can feel free to ignore my criticisms if you like. I try to ignore yours. You’ve called me an “asshole” on your blog at least once, though that was probably 13 years ago.

To be clear, I think you speak from a space of amazing privilege, don’t acknowledge, and then bitch that people aren’t seeing things your way without understanding that your way is not the norm and is, actually, very special. Most people don’t have the advantages you’ve had. This isn’t even getting into your various comments about women over the years.

1 Like

I’ll let Dave continue here if he wishes. I’m done responding to him.

I’m a semi-regular listener to This Week in Tech on TWiT, and John C. Dvorak brought up an interesting point:

Dvorak is a troll, and has constantly been wrong about tech, just as Winer has. That has nothing to do with age. It has to do with the fact that people that listen to Dvorak are wasting their time.

Dismissing the older white guys because they’re older white guys seems…um…well, I can’t think of anything nice to say about that.

People dismiss Winer because of his history. A history of being a bully, of sexism, of pushing his own formats over all others. It has very little to do with age. He wants you to believe that. You are wrong.

Ever use RSS?

You realize Winer didn’t invent RSS right? Winer is RSS’s biggest ambassador, but not the inventor. So I’m not sure what you hope to prove with that statement.

So why the lampoon of the “No Country for Old Men” poster, then? Though blasting Pogue for being an “old man” would be awkward, since he’s younger than Mark Frauenfelder…

I appreciate that @davewiner actually showed up and responded to these criticisms here. Wish more folks would do that, it helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.