Navy SEAL team tech

But on the other claw, isn’t a griffin just a shitty lion and a shitty eagle?

3 Likes

goat spider silk

1 Like

1 Like

???

2 Likes

but we won’t need that crumbling infrastructure anymore when we’re all cruising around on our own, personalized domestic peacetime aircraft carriers…

2 Likes

Yes, they probably should have 8 legs, but they already have spider genes and silk in their milk

1 Like

LOL!
What are you, 12?

3 Likes

Or “Breakfast” as they call it.

1 Like

No, because griffons are magical beasts, while lions and eagles are non-magical animals.

2 Likes

“Army First!”… oh, sorry, that’s North Korea isn’t it?

Well, much defense spending is actually domestic in terms of manufacturing and research etc. The problem is wars and of course the massive defense corporations that consume vast sums from our defense budgets.

To Mister44. At one point the US pretty much eliminated hunger through govt programs. It has gradually increased as the programs have been eliminated. But it is true that spending alone cannnot solve problems. to some extent the rules of the game have to be made fair so there is a more equitable distribution of wealth between the owners and the workers.

1 Like

Let me guess. The appropriate response is probably “Thank you for your service and protecting our freedom, sir!” accompanied with a fawning stare and demure stance.

1 Like

And just what the bloody hell is the sten gun for? Noisy things. Bic Biro does the job.

2 Likes

What about Ligers?

1 Like

Yes, though sucking their cock is optional.

1 Like

I’m an engineer.

This list is laughable.

(For my credentials, I present that I had a part in the design of the autogating circuit of the AN/PVS-14.)

The vast majority of technology that JSOC/DEVGRU uses is off the shelf stuff that you can buy at Amazon. There’s good reason for this - it’s durable, cheap, well-documented, and most importantly is not subject to the whims of government procurement and development cycles, just whip out the battalion credit card.

(The SEALs also have the not undeserved reputation of being most in love with techno-wankery of all US special teams.)

What makes these teams effective is not their technology. It’s their training and the will to not quit, ever. It’s not unique to US teams either - the special operations teams of poor South American countries routinely accomplish superhuman tasks with a surplus Thompson, a cheap Chinese radio, a ziploc baggie of tortillas, and a $4 machete.

After the Osprey debacle, no one is going to want to ride in a semi-automated flying assault car. NFW.

BigDog is great until you realize it has a top speed of 3-5mph and that little engine screams as loud as a weedwacker at full throttle.

All the rest (small drones, bone conduction headset, IP68 GPS receiver) is basically the same thing you can buy off the shelf.

(As an aside, COTS tech is all I will work on anymore. All government weapons without exception always always always get turned on the citizens anyway, so I will only work on weapons systems and dual use systems that Jane Average can buy with her credit card. Levels the playing field.)

4 Likes

Mandatory if one can get out of their scooter.

3 Likes

Well, then it’s settled, MARPA > DARPA

1 Like

I don’t believe ligers are canon in 3.5, but I could be wrong.

1 Like