Ne'er-do-well player 'executed' in Guild Wars 2

[Permalink]

I hoped for an actual execution, instead of a suicide. Getting tied to a pole, then executed by a crossbow firing squad. Something like that. Maybe as a public event.

While interesting as a phenomenon, it was a bit underwhelming.

10 Likes

Maybe seeing it happen on South Park helped the devs go through with it.
Their Warcraft episode was a classic.

1 Like

A small plug: if you are a recovering WoW addict, GW2 is a great game. No sub fees, insta-travel to places you have already been, and a nice easy leveling curve.

The game is sorely lacking in wars between actual guilds, however.

4 Likes

This guy wasn’t just causing havoc for individual players, he was using these cheats in WvW. Meaning he was ruining things for entire servers for weeks at a time.

I just hope Chris isn’t in trouble for this. I don’t think he meant for this to blow up like it did.

2 Likes

Live to win, 'till you die, 'till the light dies in your eyes
Live to win, take it all, just keep fighting till you fall

1 Like

Shouldn’t they have fixed the exploits instead? Sure the player was to blame for abusing other players but at the same time broken game mechanics are apparently still broken.

3 Likes

As a long time GW2 (and WvW, where this guy was exploiting) player, I heartily approve.

Yes, they should fix the exploit, but the mere existence of said exploit (which requires s third party app to take advantage of) is not an invitation to use it, any more than an unlocked door is an invitation to pilfer the contents inside without consequences (Skyrim apparently excepted).

3 Likes

What was he able to do? Sorry, I haven’t played an MMORPG since Diablo II, nor a first person shooter since the first Medal of Honor, so while I get the general notion, I’m curious as to the specifics of his cheating.

1 Like

In a way it would be amusing if there were counter-vigilante reprisals against him (in the game), which would lead to people who approved of the execution in the first place getting their backs up, and so forth. Suddenly this random griefer becomes Archduke Ferdinand after the fact.

Hey, better online than IRL.

2 Likes

What was he able to do? Sorry, I haven’t played an MMORPG since Diablo II, nor a first person shooter since the first Medal of Honor, so while I get the general notion, I’m curious as to the specifics of his cheating.

He was able to use both the Staff of Charlemagne, and the Sword of Azathoth, as if he was in the Vale of of Ar’duin, but without the normal Mana Hypercharge deficits normally accrued by Cleric- Assassins while under the Judgement of Heaven.

7 Likes

Teleportation to basically anywhere on the map, invulnerability from other people’s attacks, and hacked overpowered attacks of his own, standard video game cheats…except this was a multiplayer game where that’s not allowed.

2 Likes

…what else to say?

This is both (a) specific (b) really nerdy and © totally useless. I thank you and congratulate you!

4 Likes

This is both (a) generalized and (b) useful. I congratulate you!

2 Likes

Now now, if I had been really nerdy, I would have rolled dice on the Item Description table instead of making them up on the spot…

4 Likes

The little wave was pretty funny though.

3 Likes

“Act with wisdom”.

2 Likes

This is both (a) an exhaustively comprehensive summation, and (b) one clause too long to fit under the rubric of “both.” :wink: Then again, why don’t I know of a “both” word to cover more than two items? “Simultaneously” doesn’t have quite the same connotation.

1 Like

So how does one cheat in these sorts of video games? how do you instruct the serve to accept bad data? Does one decompile and mod the client, or what?