Nemo's rescue needs your help

[Permalink]

1 Like

All the local rescues in my area are overflowing as well. Apparently this is the worst time of year, and this year is exceptionally bad. I’m not sure why summer is Surrender Season, but imagine it’s a combination of Christmas “present” pets poorly trained and then abandoned, kids leaving for college, college kids moving, etc. In most areas, the shelters are inundated, and the rescues that take the dogs that need work are in desperate need of funds and volunteers. Help if you can!

4 Likes

So, do they only help Pyrenees? Isn’t that a little strange? I would rather give my money to an org looking to save any and every dog they could.

Well, they are typically volunteer-driven, non-profit groups, so if they want to specialize, that’s their choice. Many rescue groups are breed specific, which can be a blessing. Certain breeds have special needs that a come-one come-all rescue might not be used to. Pyrenees, for example, are really, really big dogs. It would be hard to get someone to foster that didn’t know what they were getting into. French Bulldogs have a lot of health issues, and need to be with people that understand their special needs. That being said, the local groups I support focus on small dogs in general, not specific breeds. Puppy mills love small dogs, so when one gets raided, the local shelters are inundated, and always need help. When I had to rehome a MinPin, though, I posted his info on a breed specific website. There was no way I was going to let him go to a home that didn’t understand the personality, energy level and training needs of a MinPin.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.