Network Solutions not sure if it will opt random customers into $1,850 "domain protection" plan

[Permalink]

1 Like

Sounds like they’re getting into the renewal-sniping domain squatting business.

1 Like

Hover is the in-house branded version of Tucows/OpenSRS.

Unless I need to get a .ca domain, I prefer Namecheap.com especially for SSL certificates. They are selling Comodo and GeoTrust certs cheaper than I can get them as an unbranded OpenSRS reseller.

it’s unclear why they’re charging $1,350 a year to leave it that way.

Because they can?

it’s unclear why they’re charging $1,350 a year to leave it that way.

Because they think they can get away with it if they target people who don’t pay close attention to their domain bills. Of everything on the internet, it’s the Domain Name system that seems to attract by far the most assholes.

1 Like

Yes, this is ridiculous, but if you actually read the email they sent out to users, what they offer is more involved than just setting a flag in a database. As I recall, they won’t allow a domain to be changed without the customer first talking to a service rep and giving a passcode or something.

As I said, I agree its a ridiculous amount of money but the summary of this post is underreporting a bit.

It blows my mind this company is still in business, they were my first registrar back in the late 90’s and it wasn’t even their high prices that drove me off… it was the comically inept support when I had a problem. I would literally tell them what the solution was and it would take months to get the fix.

There was a time when they were THE registrar. The general consensus in the ISP community was the money was justified by the fact that netsol knew what they were doing… and they completely threw that away and are now the laughing stock of the internet.

3 Likes

I’m a fan of TierraNet (tierra.net) myself. Really, really fast customer service and they’re responsive to your concerns. Note that they don’t do .ca domains either.

How are they with privacy proxy? I have it on one of my domains but the dicks at godaddy have this bullshit rule that if you want to move to another domain host they open up your domain for something like 14 days during the transfer. It’s totally a lock in trick and is not necessary. But I need a registrar that can provide privacy instantly.

1 Like

Hmm, sounds like they might have an issue with their credit card merchant agreement. People are going to see the charge on their bills, challenge it and get it reversed.

The credit card companies are not going to be amused and neither is ICANN, the FTC or the law firms who bring class action suits.

Or did NetSol think they were the very first company ever to have the idea of hiking their prices to fifty times the market rate with a completely bogus, unsolicited ‘premium’ option?

1 Like

Protip: Don’t move to Godaddy.

That’s one of those things that’s kind of insulting to be told, but if you’re still with NetSol you need all the advice you can get.

2 Likes

I’ve have plenty of experiences with Netsol in the early 2000s. I had excellent customer service with them–you just needed to know who to call and what to say to get things done. When I left my ISP job, they were starting their own COM domain register and were planning to move their customers from NetSol to their own machines. Some customers wanted to stay with NetSol for the same reason that they knew what they were doing and were quite stable.

Sad to see how Network Solutions have become.

Network Solutions has always been the lowest of the low in my eyes except for a few rare, craptastic exceptions. I’ve never used them, but some acquaintances have and it’s been a real horror show to watch (and try to help them deal with NS).

They charge premium rates for subpar offerings with tons of hidden charges. I remember researching them relatively recently for someone who was asking me about their current, basic pricing structure on stuff and a lot was hidden from the website.

You could tell they just hoped that people would sign up, get locked in and then nickel and dime them to death for basic services. Not even Godaddy stoops that low to reel in uneducated customers (as bad) and that’s really saying something.

I hope this latest scumbag maneuver puts them out of business for good.

I have it on one of my domains but the dicks at godaddy have this bullshit rule that if you want to move to another domain host they open up your domain for something like 14 days during the transfer. It's totally a lock in trick and is not necessary.

I would contact your attorney general’s office in your state and a lawyer. IANAL, but that doesn’t sound legal to me. Close to extortion, really.

So by “open up” you mean unshield the privacy? I was reading that at first as making the name available for an adverse purchase.

I just discovered yesterday that a silly url that I had registered on Network Solutions (I know, I know) for future development, that appeared to be quite well priced, was actually charging me $5 a month for the email address, and that it was impossible to remove this charge.

Leaving stupid bastard Network Solutions today.

1 Like

In fairness to Network Solutions, I once enjoyed really excellent customer service from them. Ironically, it was while I was transferring my domains away from them (many years ago), and their tech support rep was knowledgeable, proactive and helpful, even taking the time to follow up with me later to make sure that the transfer out had succeeded.

I’m not saying that I’d ever go back to them - that $35 price tag was too rich for my blood, even before they raised it to $1850 - but at least they know how to say ‘goodbye’ nicely. Maybe because they’ve had so much practice at it.

My experience with Network Solutions has been alright, it’s sort of been grandfathered in as a decent place to centrally manage a bunch of domains. Sure, they try to shovel all kinds of junk on you like web marketing and hosting and whatnot, but my experience has not really been any more positive elsewhere… At the level they send junk mail to you as a customer, I’d have stopped reading halfway through the first sentence for the email he got. Fortunately, I haven’t received said email… Perhaps it’s just because I treat the registrars like the scum they typically are. The DNS is easy enough to use, and customer support was generally responsive. I’d have gone with gandi.net, but it was treated as a foreign company last time I tried and swapping. Changing providers at this point probably means going to Godaddy due to what I’d describe as Walmart mentality.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.