NewYearsResolution: Avoid InCaps

Deliberately changing the capitalization of product / company names to suit your own agenda is inconsistent with the stated goal of clarity.

24 Likes

Which was the letter that broke the camelBack?

11 Likes

Cory isn’t protesting against initialism, so I’m sure he’s OK with the capitalization of EFF, FBI, CIA, NSA, etc.

1 Like

If you don’t want to be giving these products free marketing then don’t write about them. If you’re going to write about them then do so in a way that is recognisable. Iphone over iPhone is petty and detracts from the clarity of the sentence.

15 Likes

Yes, I think Cory missed the real story here.

Where exactly do we need to go in order to send presents to whores?

3 Likes

[quote=“adonai, post:25, topic:18196, full:true”]Yes, I think Cory missed the real story here.

Where exactly do we need to go in order to send presents to whores?[/quote]
I know… first PenisLand.net, and now WhorePresents.com … why are these companies taking perfectly normal website names and using them for something weird?

4 Likes

To me, Iphone seems weird not because we’re used to iPhone - but because it appears to be the sentence “I phone.” with an omitted space.

I agree that purposefully misspelling corporate brand names doesn’t serve to limit free advertising for them, but only to confuse the reader and appear to be a typo. Names of products as proper names should be capitalized as intended, the same way that you wouldn’t insist on recapitalizing MacDonald as Macdonald because you didn’t want to do any free advertising for his farm, or condone his excessive use of vowels.

7 Likes

Don’t forget ExpertSexChange.com or PowerGenitalia.it

2 Likes

Why would you do this? It makes the text much harder to read, because, for example, “Ios” is ambiguous, where “iOS” is not. “Iphone” is less ambiguous, but looks like a typo, and distracts the reader, because they have to wonder what’s going on, and why Boingboing’s copyediting has gone to hell. And when they figure it out, it’s not going to reflect well on you, because it simply looks petty on your part. What do you expect to gain by this?

I mean, do you spell Android, “Androyd,” simply because you prefer the letter y to i, and you’re not going to be told how to write by evil corporations? That makes about as much sense. It makes you seem semi-literate. It distracts from the actual importance of your message and shows a huge amount of disrespect toward your readers, because their time is valuable and you’re wasting it by forcing them to process issues of astounding triviality alongside your main thrust. Don’t do it, cOreydoctoroe.

24 Likes

Cory this has to be the dumbest stance anyone has ever taken on anything.

38 Likes

I remember thinking how stupid “iPod” sounded when it was first announced. I also remember the 24 hours where the Internet made fun of the name “iPad” when it was announced. Now those words are as ordinary as “Kleenex”, which I imagine people thought was a weird word when it was announced.

3 Likes

Of course, this doesn’t extend to the names of people that traditionally take an incap, like “McDonald”; nor to companies that are named for people, like “McDonald’s.”

Hi Cory, please let us know how we should spell/capitalize products, brands, and names that fall within the naming conventions established by names that traditionally use an InCap, and in the following situations:

McChicken, McRib, Chicken McNugget
LucasFilm and LucasArts
Wu-Tang Clan
e e cummings
deYoung Museum

Please advise ASAP/Asap. TIA/Tia.

12 Likes

This sounds like an iPrank…but iCould bWrong.

1 Like

I.B.M. is archaic usage, but historically justifiable. Does the NYT spell EFF as E.F.F.?

2 Likes

PerHaps a bEtter alTernaTive is simPly to Add RAndOM inCaps to alL words, tHus preSERving the CoRect spelLing Of branD nAMES likE PayPal and iPhone, buT enSuring that theY dOn’T lEAp OfF ThE paGe.

6 Likes

I kind of agree with the rest of the folks here - it does not promote clarity, and as others have stated it comes off as petty. In regards to it being free advertising, if you don’t want to give companies like Apple/etc free advertising, then you should start by not writing articles about them, not by arbitrarily deciding that Iphone is the way to spell it.

22 Likes

I kinda think you should use the trademark correctly. Also, how do you tell iOS from IOS (Apple vs Cisco) otherwise? Or structure your writing in a way that avoids using the trademarks, such as “the operating system for Apples’s new phone”.

And stop using “is”. This column will change your life: To be or not to be… | Psychology | The Guardian

4 Likes

I can somewhat see the point (especially for disruptively-capitalized names, like ‘TOYOTA’ or ‘nVIDIA’), but it’s also a little silly. If you’re talking about someone’s products in a context where the product is important (i.e., ‘iPhone’ vs. ‘smartphone’ or plain old ‘phone’), you’re already giving them free advertising – writing it ‘properly’ isn’t going to do more advertising than you’re doing already.

I’d say, honestly, write however best doesn’t disrupt the flow of a sentence. Capitalizing one extra character, or shifting the capitalization over one character doesn’t read as disruptive to me – but capitalizing an entire word certainly is, or that absurd image of an actual logo replacing a word.

2 Likes

I don’t know, spelling iPhone as Iphone sounds awfully like people who insists on calling Macintosh computer a “MAC” instead of Mac or Microsoft as M$ instead of MS. It’s fine to dislike something out of principle, but if someone comes across something like “Iphone” it may come off as ignorance about the subject rather than defiance to marketing machinery.

Of course, you may not care, and that’s OK too.

I forgot to add: in programming language, CamelCasing is a well-accepted convention which has nothing to do with branding. Language like Java uses lowerCamelCase style for methods and references. Maybe we should rebel against CamelCase conventions and go with pythonic “i_phone”.

8 Likes

Yeah, I fail to see how writing an article about the iPhone is free advertising while writing one about the Iphone is not.

Would a book review of a book by bell hooks magically also become an advertisement if it used the author’s preferred spelling of her name? Would insisting on incorrectly calling the author ‘Bell Hooks’ magically preserve journalistic objectivity and distance?

5 Likes